Chances/School List cGPA 3.45 sGPA 3.3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJS4878

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody I am so glad to finally be making a "What Are My Chances" thread!

Stats:
AACOMAS cGPA: 3.45 sGPA: 3.33
AMCAS cGPA: 3.46 sGPA 3.23
MCAT: 28 9/10/9

I recently graduated from a great university with a degree in psychology and a minor in biology. I started out school barely maintaining a 3.0 and quickly dropped even lower my second semester. This forced me to take a step back in order to really focus on my school work. I have a significant upward trend in my transcript including a 4.0 my senior year. I have retaken a couple courses going from C's to A's.

I had a phenomenal shadowing experience with an MD orthopedic, with a bit over 200 hours and an outstanding LOR. I start shadowing a DO this Friday, and am really excited to compare the two experiences.

As far as EC's go I was very involved in Greek Life on my campus. I held positions like philanthropy chair, community service chair, and head of recruitment in my own fraternity. Each of these positions allowed me to explore different volunteer opportunity's including running multiple fundraising events. Currently I am the head coordinator of my schools alumni golf tournament for our homecoming weekend this Fall. Throughout school I also worked part time (~20 hrs/wk) in order to pay for living expenses and gain some real world experience.

I will be taking a gap year since I graduated this past Spring and am currently applying for positions at my local hospital in order to better my patient contact experience.

I am a NY resident and would like some help in compiling a school list. I was lucky enough to make it through undergrad without debt, and am willing to spend the money now in order to get myself into medical school, so I plan to apply very broadly. With that being said, I cannot see myself traveling to far out west. Also, do you think applying to MD schools like NYMC, Rosy Franklin... etc. would be a waste of time/money?

Members don't see this ad.

With an MCAT <30 and your sGPA, I suggest sticking with DO programs. Rosy F and NYMC might be doable, but that's all.

Hey everybody I am so glad to finally be making a "What Are My Chances" thread!

Stats:
AACOMAS cGPA: 3.45 sGPA: 3.33
AMCAS cGPA: 3.46 sGPA 3.23
MCAT: 28 9/10/9

I recently graduated from a great university with a degree in psychology and a minor in biology. I started out school barely maintaining a 3.0 and quickly dropped even lower my second semester. This forced me to take a step back in order to really focus on my school work. I have a significant upward trend in my transcript including a 4.0 my senior year. I have retaken a couple courses going from C's to A's.

I had a phenomenal shadowing experience with an MD orthopedic, with a bit over 200 hours and an outstanding LOR. I start shadowing a DO this Friday, and am really excited to compare the two experiences.

As far as EC's go I was very involved in Greek Life on my campus. I held positions like philanthropy chair, community service chair, and head of recruitment in my own fraternity. Each of these positions allowed me to explore different volunteer opportunity's including running multiple fundraising events. Currently I am the head coordinator of my schools alumni golf tournament for our homecoming weekend this Fall. Throughout school I also worked part time (~20 hrs/wk) in order to pay for living expenses and gain some real world experience.

I will be taking a gap year since I graduated this past Spring and am currently applying for positions at my local hospital in order to better my patient contact experience.

I am a NY resident and would like some help in compiling a school list. I was lucky enough to make it through undergrad without debt, and am willing to spend the money now in order to get myself into medical school, so I plan to apply very broadly. With that being said, I cannot see myself traveling to far out west. Also, do you think applying to MD schools like NYMC, Rosy Franklin... etc. would be a waste of time/money?

Thanks Goro! Is it safe to say that I am competitive for DO ?

Also, what do you think would be a safe number of schools to apply to?

Last edited: