Chances? School list? cGPA 3.67 sGPA 3.81 MCAT 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silentshadow59

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are in Texas you are probably fine. Like you suggested, apply early and apply to pretty much all of them. Texas seems like one of those states where you really benefit from living there if you are trying to get into medical school, since they pretty much only take Texas residents or ridiculously qualified OOS applicants. You could also apply to the Texan DO school which would probably take you in a heartbeat. They are also ridiculously cheap and it is arguably one of the best DO schools in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
While you are a TX resident which makes the path easier, your MCAT score will be a noticeable hindrance. Frankly, with an MCAT below 30, I think that it may be a bit foolish not to apply to DO schools since you aren't likely to get any love from out of state schools with an above average GPA and a below average MCAT.

Therefore, before writing DO schools off of the list, let me pose this question to you ... Would you want to go through an extremely stressful application cycle a second time because you didn't want to apply to any DO schools?

While you are a TX resident which makes the path easeir, your MCAT score will be a noticeable hindrance. Frankly, with an MCAT below 30, me think that it may be a bit foolish not to apply to DO schools since you aren't likely to get any love from out of state schools with an above average GPA and a below average MCAT.

Therefore, before writing DO schools off of the list, let me pose this question to you ... Would you want to go through an extremely stressful application cycle a second time because you didn't want to apply to any DO schools?
This is an extremely valid point. I think if there are a few (maybe a half dozen including the one in Texas) DO schools that you could see yourself at, it would behoove you to apply to them as well. I absolutely agree that with your MCAT you will not receive love from OOS schools. The only MD schools that you have a shot at are in Texas. So I would say apply to like all of the Texas MD schools, apply to the Texas DO school, and apply to maybe a few more DO schools in areas that you would like to go to. Even as it stands now, you will get some leniency for being a Texas resident so +1 to your MD application.... but -1 for having an MCAT score below the averages... so in the end you would just be another number. At that point, your chances of getting into an MD school is sort of random, you definitely could, or you might miss out completely. So the DO school might be your best bet. I dont know how aware you are of the whole DO thing, but I had reservations until I shadowed a few and realized that they do the exact same thing as MDs, make just as much money, and can get the same jobs (unless you are trying to be dean of Harvard or something). Also the fact that the residency merger is happening really is a huge factor for future applicants. And the Texas DO school is highly respected in both the DO and MD world from what I hear. It is an awesome school, the only problem with it is that its practically only available to texas residents haha! So just some food for thought...

Or retake your MCAT.... pick your poison heh...

me suppose me will get more information on DO, the SMP has teis with a DO school. They also have 60% admittance into MD schools the following year, so me will definitely work to be at the top of my class in the program. At first me was freaking out about my MCAT (still are actually but less severely), but me keep being told (by other pre-meds, med students and even a med school faculty member) its all about the bigger picture in that a high mcat could offset a low gpa, or high gpa could offset a low mcat. So me are starting to be hopeful that my cGPA and sGPA, LORs (me've actually read 3/5 of them and they seem strong), and my PS may pull me through. (and possibly my graduate GPA from the SMP). On aamc data tables from 2013 it shows that 50% of white applicants with my mcat score will matriculate... though that is on the low side... my gpa may save me.. but me do see how applying to at least 1-2 DO schools may be in my best interest. Thank you @chemguy79 for giving me something to think about!

I would agree, if I was to guess your actual chance of getting into a Texas allopathic program, I wouldve put it at 50%. It is 100% a roll of the dice. I would say you have a very very high chance of getting into the DO school though... your best bet is to check that school out and check out some of their match lists for the past couple of years and see if the students that they are producing go into fields and places that you would enjoy being at.

The problem with the SMP is that realistically your GPA is not the problem, your MCAT is... Also check to see where your gpa is at on the DO application, because they count retakes of classes and they dont count math in the science gpa, which can really change things dramatically. For me, I would get autoscreened at MD schools. For DO schools I am actually quite competitive - that is the kind of difference it can make.

Last edited:
@Awesome Sauceome Okay me will do some research on it. me never really have looked into it before. And me also are not usually a gambler so this 50% chance is a huge scare. and thank you for letting me know about the me thing haha! It was really bothering me -_-
Yea... just remember, its not me saying its a 50% (well technically I did), its the stats. You cant beat the numbers that are supported by thousands of previous applicants. As much as you think you can be that one special snowflake that could squeek by, the reality of it is that its just really really competitive for everyone. This was a big revelation that I too had to overcome.

Definitely look into the DO thing, spend some time shadowing and you will get a real feel. Hell you might have even been treated by one throughout your life and didnt even know it haha. There are definitely some sketchy DO schools out there (basically defined as sketchy because of sketchy rotation sites/ support), but on the other hand there are some seriously top notch ones as well... Take a look at the original 5, we are talking 100+ year old schools with massive alumni bases. You have a real shot at them with your numbers. You are above (or roughly around) the numbers for some of the top DO schools in the country. The only one that might be higher is CCOM (midwestern university). Seriously top notch school, I have shadowed a few physicians (ortho surgery, peds, etc) from there and they are solid and highly respected.

I literally hit your exact situation last spring. Had my MD application all set to go, got my MCAT score back (also a 28), and realized I would rather have some role in having a choice of what school I would go to, rather than picking at the scraps of having some random chance of attending an MD school, after throwing a bunch of time and money away on the application. Since I made that decision, so much stuff has fallen in line for me. It has taken a lot of the stress off for sure.

You at least do in fact have the bonus of living in a good state, so that helps a little bit. But still, like you suggested, why take the chance?

Shenanigans upon SDN!

Personally, applying to DO schools seems like a logical bet because an SMP will not change your below average MCAT score and that will likely be the limiting factor with your application. What are your section breakdowns?

MD schools can't see, nor should they care, that you are applying to DO schools because it's a completely different application service.

It is probable that you would get completely shutout from all out of state MD schools, so you may not want to apply to 10+ MD schools without an improved MCAT. @Goro could provide more assistance, but it's hard not to be pessimistic about your OOS chances with that score.

Will SDN edit these posts after April 1st?

Yea Goro will have a more solidified answer. He is an adcom.

And the original 5 are:
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (1899)
Kansas City University of Medicine and BiosciencesCollege of Osteopathic Medicine (1916)
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicineof Midwestern University (1900)
A.T. Still University of Health SciencesKirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (1892)
Des Moines UniversityCollege of Osteopathic Medicine (1898)

They all have pretty dramatically different focuses (some urban, some rural etc). So dont necessarily apply just because they are old. Here are some other schools that around the pre-osteo parts are pretty solid (I am excluding any that have massive regional or in-state bias)
Marian University
Campbell University
Arizona College AZCOM
NOVA
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort WorthTexas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Thinks thats about it. There are plenty of other great schools, but these are a few that seem to get tossed around a lot. It is a good place to start. http://www.aacom.org/about/colleges/Pages/default.aspx

28 is the floor for MCAT scores at MD schools, so there are some TX schools definitely worth aiming for (inclduing TCOM). MCW is also worth a shot. MSAR Online is your friend.

DO programs will give you more love though.

me are wondering if anybody can help me with a school list and/or have an idea what my chances are to get into medical schools this cycle. me do have access to MSAR, the MCAT ranges are pretty broad and most begin right around my score.
me will be ready to submit my app very early, probably the first week of June. me have a 3.67 cumulative undergrad GPA and 3.81 sceince GPA. me made a subpar score on the MCAT, 28. me have about 70 hours of volunteer hours in the ER at a hospital, 20 hours in their gift shop. About 40 non-clinical volunteer hours. me was an active member of 2 pre-med undergraduate organizations and 1 forensics organization for fun. me've shadowed 5 doctors, ranging from primary care to cardiac surgereis. me've only developed a professional relationship with one of them, who also wrote a letter of rec for me. me have 5 LOR in total, 1 from the physician me shadowed, 3 from sceinces professors, and 1 from a previous employer.
me are also starting an SMP this summer, to fill my gap year. Oh and me are a Texas resident and will apply to all schools in Texas but looking for some out of states as well.
me are interested in knowing what you all think my chances are! And if you can think of schools to add to my school list don't hesitate to let me know :)