MD Chances(small pool, Southeast michigan schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisjh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I got my MCAT so I'll make a new one of these.

Non-trad
Veteran (USMC)
1st 2 years - Ceremonial unit in DC (Arlington, Pentagon, Whitehouse, etc)
2nd 2 years - infantry unit - went to 9 different countries, including a day volunteering digging an irrigation ditch and playground for an orphanage in Albania.

EC's
Volunteering at hospital ER, (visitors not patient contact) ~80 hours

Distance running - for about 10 years now. I run alone usually, not on team, but I do several races a year, ranging from 5k's and 10k's to a few half marathons and a couple full marathons

I did one year at my previous school tutoring several subjects (chemistry, calc, etc) but mostly anatomy and physiology. (Paid. Work-study financial aid)

I did one semester in a competitive entry nursing program with about 60 hours of direct patient care, including helping/cleaning patients, giving meds, etc Dropped out after the first semester because that's when I finally had my moment where I said screw it I'm going to med school. Finished my associates at that school with 4.0 and transferred to a university for my bachelors.

I am 25 years old, white male, married, with a 3.5 year old and another on the way.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 518
C/P: 131
CARS: 127 (this surprised me, its usually my best section)
B/B: 129
P/S: 131

I am only applying to MSU, U of Mich, Wayne State, and Oakland University.
I know this is a small net, but I have a family and own my home, and I can not afford to move. The school I attend must be in driving distance. Which is why these 4. Not that that's the only reason for them, I am very much interested in these schools.

What do you guys think of my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm concerned that your 60 hours of clinical experience is a bit on the low side. However, your stats are wonderful and thank you for serving our country. Bump up a few more clinical hours and you'd be golden.

I know it's low, but I feel like the quality of the hours were better than the majority of applicants, outside of those already in the Healthcare field. My job was basically to be a nurse during that semester. Everything I did was actual nursing work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the quality of hours is definitely better than most but it just seems low. It seems like the equivalent of working part-time for 3 weeks. Maybe someone else can weigh in like an actual adcom since I'm just a premed and its only my opinion without evidence to support it. Also, adcoms will likely ask why medicine instead of nursing, have a good answer to that which usually includes an example from your experience and you should be fine. Best of luck!

EC's
Volunteering at hospital ER, (visitors not patient contact) ~80 hours

I did one semester in a competitive entry nursing program with about 60 hours of direct patient care, including helping/cleaning patients, giving meds, etc Dropped out after the first semester because that's when I finally had my moment where I said screw it I'm going to med school. Finished my associates at that school with 4.0 and transferred to a university for my bachelors.
[...]
I am only applying to MSU, U of Mich, Wayne State, and Oakland University.

So your total healthcare related hours is ~140? What about shadowing?
Also, what about Chicago area schools? Those are ~4 hours driving from Detroit (~1 hr flight)? I know that you want to stay in a specific area, but do you want to stay the area and risk re-applying, or do you want to get in this year?

Chicago is more like 6 hours from me. And I wish I could, but I just wouldn't be able to afford it.

Not sure what else there is to say man. You have great numbers and you can (hopefully) tell a compelling story. That's the key to this whole thing.

Obviously applying to 4 schools is extremely risky, but it sounds non-negotiable for you. As a private school, I would think Oakland would be very interested in your high numbers. Wayne and MSU probably will be as well. UM is always a wildcard, so who knows.

Have you thought about applying to MSU's DO school as well? They love MI residents, and are a very good primary care school. At the least you increase your pool by 25%.

I'm not an Adcom, but with someone who has a similar background (and far worse stats) I think you should go for it. I don't see you coming out of this empty handed.