Chances? Strong Academics, weak EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jusanothapremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a junior from a top-15 university applying in the upcoming cycle. I am worried that my weak EC's are going to really hurt me with some of the top schools, which is where I want to go. Bring on the advice!

Stats:
cGPA- 3.85. (Right around 4.0 the last 3 semesters).
sGPA- 3.80
MCAT- 38. 14PS / 10VR / 14BS
Double majoring in Chemistry and Biology, including multiple honors-level classes.

Research: have worked in 2 different labs, 1 for a semester and 1 for this past year. Don't have any publications, but I should have a good rec letter from my PI this year.

EC's:
-Founded and am president of a student club with about 20 members.
-Shadowed 2 doctors for ~30hours over the past 2 years.
-Volunteer as a "Big Brother" for just over a year. ~3 hours/week
-Volunteer at a nursing home (only since January). ~3hrs/week
-Spent a month in a 3rd world country shadowing and working at health clinics with sick children summer after Freshman year.
-Volunteer at elementary school off and on, ~30hrs total.
-Spend a lot of time playing sports, which is where the rest of my time goes after studying.

This is the list I am currently looking at:
-Einstein
-Mt. Sinai
-Duke
-WashU
-Weill
-Columbia
-Brown
-Penn
-Tufts
-Chicago (Pritzker)
-Northwestern
-Wisconsin

I ideally want to be in a major city, and I know I probably need some other lower-tier schools but I want to know how realistic my goals are.

Are there any top schools where EC's are weighted less than academic/research? Because I definitely think EC's are my weak spot.

Thanks for the advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a VERY top heavy list there. You need to throw in some safeties and mid-tier schools unless you want to risk reapplying.

As far as your ECs go, they seem pretty solid. Continue volunteering and you should be good. Really it seems like your research is lacking though. You need more lab time than just 1-2 semesters, and you need to be publishing if you want a top 20.

Its really hard to tell you how well you will do on the app cycle without an MCAT score. If you have like a 35+, you should be fine, but many people, myself included, scored on the lower end of their FL scores (a few points below their averages). I was scoring high 30s on the FLs, and ended up with a mid 30s score, so take it for what you will.

Your research is weak for research focused schools. Zero publications man, not good at all. You'll be competing fora spot at these programs with very accomplished students with multiple publications and presentations. Though research is just one part of the application. Selling yourself as a academic superstar and future researcher is going to be a stretch at a top 20 school.
You need to rethink your list, and score well on the MCAT. Lots of posts can be found by searching for "I don't know WTF happened, I was killing the MCAT practice tests and I scored a 25."
If your "lots of sports" was Division 1 athletics, your in a different category.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You need more lab time than just 1-2 semesters, and you need to be publishing if you want a top 20.
More lab time would be ideal, yes. However, you definitely do not need to be publishing - not even all the MSTPs at top schools have publications.

You know your weaknesses - are you going to do research this summer? Ideally you would do research full-time this summer and indicate that you will continue part-time during the upcoming school year. Add some mid-tier schools to your list, hit that 35+, and think carefully about your personal statement - as it stands, your scores and ECs will neither get you in to nor keep you out of any of the schools on your list.

Thanks for the advice!

Meihua: I have a full time, fairly prestigious internship this summer at a Hospital's research division.
So I have 3 semesters research experience at school, and will have this summer as well.

Any ideas of good schools to add that I would have a good chance at? I want to be in an east coast city ideally.

Lastly- I am not worried about scoring above a 30 on the MCAT. But I know nerves could get to me so a low 30's score is quite possible.

Any ideas of good schools to add that I would have a good chance at? I want to be in an east coast city ideally.

If you're set on being in a major city on the east coast, that limits your options. I would add NYU as a "target" school, but as far as safeties go you might have to loosen your geographical restrictions somewhat.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for good target/safety schools? Also, I was really worried about EC's partly because I don't have 15 to fill the Primary Application with. Is it critical that I list 15 experiences? Or is it ok to have 12 or 13?

*Update*

Just got my MCAT scores- 38 Composite- 14PS / 10VR / 14BS.

What do you guys think?

Just skimmed but I didnt see any clinical experience.