Chances Top 10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KPathe

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, KPathe. As someone who has received interviews at the schools you named, plus a number of other top 10s, I can tell you that your chances are solid. Your stats and ECs put you in a good position going forward -- make sure your interview skills are just as good. That said, acceptance to those schools is not guaranteed for anyone (far from it), and solely aiming for the top 5 or 10 is an unhealthy way to approach the application process. Think about what you want from your career, and which schools will allow you to get there -- as long as the answer isn't prestige, I think you'll find that a number of schools extending beyond the top 10 would be an excellent fit. Don't set yourself up for disappointment, keep your options open, and you'll have a great cycle! Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, KPathe. As someone who has received interviews at the schools you named, plus a number of other top 10s, I can tell you that your chances are solid. Your stats and ECs put you in a good position going forward -- make sure your interview skills are just as good. That said, acceptance to those schools is not guaranteed for anyone (far from it), and solely aiming for the top 5 or 10 is an unhealthy way to approach the application process. Think about what you want from your career, and which schools will allow you to get there -- as long as the answer isn't prestige, I think you'll find that a number of schools extending beyond the top 10 would be an excellent fit. Don't set yourself up for disappointment, keep your options open, and you'll have a great cycle! Good luck! :)
Oh, I was never even planning on applying to the top 10 until now. I've had my sights on a few top 25 schools w/ particular focuses on what I would like to do career wise. However, several top 10's also would be a good fit for me. So, if I'm actually competitive for those schools then I will definitely apply and do their secondaries.

Also, should I obtain letters from medically related people? I was planning on simply asking professionals who I am very close with. However, I'm not sure if med schools want to see letters instead from people close to the medical field?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply! You have a really good shot, your app is quite competitive. Letters from medically related people (eg, physicians) are definitely not necessary, but if you have a really strong relationship with someone who is in a good place to right you a well-informed letter of evaluation, then it might be helpful. I personally did not include any medical professionals in my letter packet, and I don't think it has hurt me at all this cycle. From threads on SDN, I've seen that many of the adcoms here find these letters rather uninformative most of the time. However, I would definitely try to get a strong letter from a PI who worked with you, as many of the top schools love to see strength in research!

Oh, I was never even planning on applying to the top 10 until now. I've had my sights on a few top 25 schools w/ particular focuses on what I would like to do career wise. However, several top 10's also would be a good fit for me. So, if I'm actually competitive for those schools then I will definitely apply and do their secondaries.

Also, should I obtain letters from medically related people? I was planning on simply asking professionals who I am very close with. However, I'm not sure if med schools want to see letters instead from people close to the medical field?

A committee letter is preferred. Does your school have one?

A committee letter is preferred. Does your school have one?
My school does not as far as I know. How do I double check though?

Definitely apply! You have a really good shot, your app is quite competitive. Letters from medically related people (eg, physicians) are definitely not necessary, but if you have a really strong relationship with someone who is in a good place to right you a well-informed letter of evaluation, then it might be helpful. I personally did not include any medical professionals in my letter packet, and I don't think it has hurt me at all this cycle. From threads on SDN, I've seen that many of the adcoms here find these letters rather uninformative most of the time. However, I would definitely try to get a strong letter from a PI who worked with you, as many of the top schools love to see strength in research!
Definitely asking my PI. Most of my work isn't necessarily medically related, but definitely targeting those who come from less fortunate backgrounds. Hence why I wasn't sure if I would even be able to get a medical professional to write me a strong letter.

Yes. A committee letter is expected if offered.
Contact your pre-health or career advising office.
Checked, there isn't one. Should I make sure to include a health advisor letter though?

No. Follow the instructions in the MSAR for LoE's. They vary by school.
Thank you!
You should apply to all the top 20s, your state schools, and 4-7 mid tiers.
I'll probably cut 5-8 schools from top 20 that I have no interest in attending and probably add a few from top 20-30 that I am interested in attending.

Reactions: 1 users
Chances excellent. You're golden.
Hey Goro!

Thank you very much for your input. It is very nice to know that I have a chance. I was wondering if you could unquote my post though. I plan on deleting everything at the end for the sake of anonymity!