MD & DO Chances: URM, Undergrad 3.3Cum; 3.1 science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azdevil21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Wanted to get some input on what I should be looking at as far as my options go for this cycle. Open to any and all advice. Below is just a brief overview of my profile and what my situation was.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 cum 3.1 Science
GPA Explanation: First two years of college my mom was in the hospital for majority of the time. I had to work full time to help support my family and my grades suffered substantially. I never failed a class but had a few C's. I have a strong upward trend the last 2 years of my college career and was on the Dean's list the last two years. I have yet to take my MCAT and know that I have to score pretty high to offset my GPA and am in a course to facilitate that.

Extracurricular Activities: Research 1.5 years everyday running my own projects in a lab on campus for a professor.

Volunteered: In numerous capacities in my community through local programs for 6+ years ex., Boys and Girls Club, Local High School Also worked in a 3rd wold country for a span of time working in a medical area.

Work Experience: Worked throughout college and have 4 years of work experience since graduating in a medical area.

Shadowing: Have shadowed numerous doctors and worked hand in hand with them for the last 4 years.
LORs: Strong LORs from Employers from last couple years of working as well as strong letter from a physician I shadowed.

Also not sure if it matters but I am an URM who grew up pretty disadvantaged. I also am located in the southwest and have strong ties to the area. I'm in my mid 20s.

I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Wanted to get some input on what I should be looking at as far as my options go for this cycle. Open to any and all advice. Below is just a brief overview of my profile and what my situation was.

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 cum 3.1 Science
GPA Explanation: First two years of college my mom was in the hospital for majority of the time. I had to work full time to help support my family and my grades suffered substantially. I never failed a class but had a few C's. I have a strong upward trend the last 2 years of my college career and was on the Dean's list the last two years. I have yet to take my MCAT and know that I have to score pretty high to offset my GPA and am in a course to facilitate that.

Extracurricular Activities: Research 1.5 years everyday running my own projects in a lab on campus for a professor.

Volunteered: In numerous capacities in my community through local programs for 6+ years ex., Boys and Girls Club, Local High School Also worked in a 3rd wold country for a span of time working in a medical area.

Work Experience: Worked throughout college and have 4 years of work experience since graduating in a medical area.

Shadowing: Have shadowed numerous doctors and worked hand in hand with them for the last 4 years.
LORs: Strong LORs from Employers from last couple years of working as well as strong letter from a physician I shadowed.

Also not sure if it matters but I am an URM who grew up pretty disadvantaged. I also am located in the southwest and have strong ties to the area. I'm in my mid 20s.

I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you.

Similar profile (i.e. mine):

http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=28336

Put a lot of work into your application and MCAT and you should get interviews at low-mid tier schools.

Your ECs are AMAZING! For the love of God please do well on your MCAT.
That will definitely be the deciding factor for your application. When are you taking it? I hope you have been studying for a while already
if you are planning on applying this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses! I'm taking the MCAT in August and have been studying already! Working full time and being out of academics for a couples years I wanted to really make sure I was able to dive into the material. Thank you for input! Fingers crossed everything goes well.

So you are still working full time? How is your study schedule?

MCAT studying takes a lot of time and effort as I'm sure you are aware.
Be careful about applying late too!

Right now my job is flexible so I'm able to study at work. I'm getting about 2-3 hours in daily. I'm working on my application now so it will be ready by the time I take the test.

Hey all, I'm in full study mode for my MCAT. Hoping that I do well, are there any specific schools in the South West/West Coast area that may give me a chance even with my low GPA? As always I appreciate the advice.

Hey all, I'm in full study mode for my MCAT. Hoping that I do well, are there any specific schools in the South West/West Coast area that may give me a chance even with my low GPA? As always I appreciate the advice.
It will depend on your MCAT.
It's really the only standardized comparator we have.
Which community do you represent?

Sorry for the late response, I am African American. I have been drawn to programs that wish to serve the rural and underserved communities (much like where I grew up) which I expressed heavily in my application. Not feeling too confident in this cycle as I did apply late, but I'll keep you posted especially for those that are in a similar situation! Best of luck to everyone.