Chances/Where to Apply/Any Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secants

about:blank
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well application season is coming in a few months and I'd love feedback from anyone and suggestions on where to apply and how competitive my application is.

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.77 I still have the spring to worry about in terms of grades

MCAT: 32Q
PS=12/BS=12/VR=8

The verbal is what makes me nervous but I'm most likely not going to retake.

EC: Here is where I am servery lacking in
By the Time of Applications I should have:

-1yr of research in the Pharmacology dept.
-1yr of Organic Chemistry Tutoring
-Shadowing
-Volunteer in the ER or Nurse depts.
-ER internship where I try to get patients signed up for drug trials
-Possible internship/job at a Psych hospital working directly with the patients
-I started working this semester and will continue next semester as well
-one or two clubs that I actually participated and helped in

LOR: Again, this will mostly be medicore
I'm trying to make a list of possible people to ask, I'm feeling most will come from my EC's though. My science classes were all large lectures though. I will go through with a committee letter.

My Guess:

I guess my grades are ok but everything else isn't really showing any dedication or anything. I go to an NY state school right now few many people are pre-med. I'm looking primarily at the SUNY Med schools but need help how well I fare and which others I should add. I might also add on a few DO schools and maybe one or two Caribbean.

I'd appreciate any advice and sorry if I might have given anyone a negative impression by this post. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are competitive enough that the rest of your application will be looked at. If you have less than a year of clinical experience on your application, it won't show your dedication to becoming a physician (more like 1.5 years of involvement is average). Your research and leadership look fine, and you have something to list under teaching. Mediocre LORs may break you, if brevity of clinical experience does not. Still, you might be fine at some schools if you continue your clinical activities through the application year and send updates that you are continuing to accumulate experience working with sick people.

You look like the average matriculant stats-wise, and if you apply broadly with a well written PS, you should expect to do OK...but the LORs are a real concern, and it sounds like you are "behind" in your ECs...

You are sitting on the fence. Could go either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, so I came up with the same conclusion in that my EC's can make or break my app. I'll try my best to rock the PS at least. And yeah, I plan on contining my EC's well in senior year so I'll definitely update schools on it.

At this point, I'll be happy to get into any MD school. I was curious to know how do I look for DO's though?

Thanks again

Your stats and other ECs will similiarly appeal to DO schools, but they also value sufficient clinical experience to show that you've tested the vocation.