Chances with 3.11 cGPA and 22DAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just e-submitted my application last week and I am very nervous because my GPA is a 3.11, although I displayed an upward trend towards the end of my undergrad career it certainly didn't end up being enough. I was on the Dean's list my last two semesters and am currently taking biology courses as a post-bachelor student. I just want to know what my chances are for this cycle!

I have over 100 hours of shadowing experiences and volunteer experiences. I am also volunteering currently at a dental clinic that serves the underprivileged.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no clue but probably a bit lower. AADSAS has yet to calculate my GPAs so I'm not sure and my university only provides cGPA

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in with a 22 AA and 3.27 cGPA. Not really an upward trend. Hopefully you wrote a good personal statement and letters of rec. Good luck.

I had a 3.2 overall (& 3.0 sci) w/ the DAT score in my sig below last cycle and I didn't get in (3 waitlists). IMO it might be tough for you, but volunteering in a clinic in an underserved area may help you get in. Try to get tons more hours and email schools w/ updates as you get more. You'll need killer EC, so you should also consider doing research. GL

I had a 3.2 overall (& 3.0 sci) w/ the DAT score in my sig below last cycle and I didn't get in (3 waitlists). IMO it might be tough for you, but volunteering in a clinic in an underserved area may help you get in. Try to get tons more hours and email schools w/ updates as you get more. You'll need killer EC, so you should also consider doing research. GL
THis blows. I am at a 3.15 and 3.06 science , (3.75 grad) and have 6 interviews. But I know that for Us with lower stats , tend to be waitlisted. This is kind of heartbreaking. I have good Extracurriculars , but i don't know if that's gonna be enough for an acceptance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Blake1e where did you apply?
About 15 schools all over:UoP, Nova, LECOM, NYU, Buffalo, Boston, temple, vcu, case, both Midwesterns, unlv, a few in the mid-west, some others I can't recall.
THis blows. I am at a 3.15 and 3.06 science , (3.75 grad) and have 6 interviews. But I know that for Us with lower stats , tend to be waitlisted. This is kind of heartbreaking. I have good Extracurriculars , but i don't know if that's gonna be enough for an acceptance

Don't fret, you should be excited. Your grad GPA really sets you apart from all the rest. Don't believe me? Dude, you have 6 interviews. You're bound to get into at least one, it's unheard of for someone (that's a normal person) in your situation to be denied from all 6. You are enough, you just need a bit more confidence in yourself. IMO you did right by going to Grad school, I should've done that, but it's all good if this cycle is a no-go for me I'll then do that too.

As MasterDental said, this blows. I have a 3.05 oGPA and 3.15 sGPA with 21/21/23 DAT. After undergrad in 2008 I went through an intense medical lab science program and have been a board certified medical lab scientist for the past 5-6 years now. Shadowed multiple specialties, 200+ volunteer hours at an underserved clinic, plus great PS and LORs. I'm now taking grad level classes to bring up my GPA. I've had one interview already at LECOM, but have heard nothing from the other 21 schools I applied to. I'm going all in this cycle so I'm really hoping for something :/ As MasterDental said....Blake1e's post is heartbreaking.

As MasterDental said, this blows. I have a 3.05 oGPA and 3.15 sGPA with 21/21/23 DAT. After undergrad in 2008 I went through an intense medical lab science program and have been a board certified medical lab scientist for the past 5-6 years now. Shadowed multiple specialties, 200+ volunteer hours at an underserved clinic, plus great PS and LORs. I'm now taking grad level classes to bring up my GPA. I've had one interview already at LECOM, but have heard nothing from the other 21 schools I applied to. I'm going all in this cycle so I'm really hoping for something :/ As MasterDental said....Blake1e's post is heartbreaking.
So since 2008 your GPA hasn't changed but you got a slightly above avg DAT and extremely impressive EC (including LoR & PS)..

If there's one thing I learned from all this it is the order of what's important:

SciGPA > oGPA >> DAT > EC

GPAs matter the most by far, so a lagging GPA can only be slighty compensated for with excellence in another area. The only thing that can compensate for a bad GPA in a major way is what Masterdental did and you're doing now.

Like you, I'm all in for this. So if nothing happens I'll take grad courses like I should've from the start, instead of post-bac, and try again until I succeed.

So since 2008 your GPA hasn't changed but you got a slightly above avg DAT and extremely impressive EC (including LoR & PS)..

If there's one thing I learned from all this it is the order of what's important:

SciGPA > oGPA >> DAT > EC

GPAs matter the most by far, so a lagging GPA can only be slighty compensated for with excellence in another area. The only thing that can compensate for a bad GPA in a major way is what Masterdental did and you're doing now.

Like you, I'm all in for this. So if nothing happens I'll take grad courses like I should've from the start, instead of post-bac, and try again until I succeed.

I took a grad-level virology course last semester to sort of get my feet wet again since I've been out of the game so long and got an A. Since I work full-time second shift at the hospital I can't really take too many at once since at my university they're mostly evening classes. However, I am taking biochemistry and another related course this semester. I know it's early but so far I'm on pace for another 4.0+ semester. I'm guessing some schools are waiting to see how I do this semester with the academic update?

Hey everyone! I just e-submitted my application last week and I am very nervous because my GPA is a 3.11, although I displayed an upward trend towards the end of my undergrad career it certainly didn't end up being enough. I was on the Dean's list my last two semesters and am currently taking biology courses as a post-bachelor student. I just want to know what my chances are for this cycle!

I have over 100 hours of shadowing experiences and volunteer experiences. I am also volunteering currently at a dental clinic that serves the underprivileged.
It really just depends on when you completed your application. I basically have the same stats as MasterDental, but only one interview. He however, completed his applications before me. However, this whole process is about being patient. However, your GPA is pretty low. If you do get an interview, be ready to explain what happened. Some schools have cutoffs and if you don't meet one of them they will reject you before looking at LORs or EC.

Members don't see this ad :)
About 15 schools all over:UoP, Nova, LECOM, NYU, Buffalo, Boston, temple, vcu, case, both Midwesterns, unlv, a few in the mid-west, some others I can't recall.
Don't fret, you should be excited. Your grad GPA really sets you apart from all the rest. Don't believe me? Dude, you have 6 interviews. You're bound to get into at least one, it's unheard of for someone (that's a normal person) in your situation to be denied from all 6. You are enough, you just need a bit more confidence in yourself. IMO you did right by going to Grad school, I should've done that, but it's all good if this cycle is a no-go for me I'll then do that too.
Thx. This really makes me feel much better. ;). You are right. I would have to be a horrible interviewer in order to get rejected or waitlisted at all of them. I wish the best for you

Reactions: 1 user
Wow we have similar stats. Only that my Dat is only 20 AA /21 TS. I'm sure that after taking couple grad classes you will be all set , cuz you have a great track record in Extracurriculars. Good luck , and remember that the cycle isn't done until July or beginning of August.

I took a grad-level virology course last semester to sort of get my feet wet again since I've been out of the game so long and got an A. Since I work full-time second shift at the hospital I can't really take too many at once since at my university they're mostly evening classes. However, I am taking biochemistry and another related course this semester. I know it's early but so far I'm on pace for another 4.0+ semester. I'm guessing some schools are waiting to see how I do this semester with the academic update?

Very nice start, but it might be at a too slow of a pace to make a big enough difference. The purpose of grad school is to show adcoms you can maintain a high GPA in challenging conditions similar to those in d school; doing part-time makes it easier. A 4.0 with those 2 classes can help (and heck since youre a nontrad student, it might even be enough for an acceptance), but a 4.0 full-time would serve you better. Try to work part time, or take a leave of absence if youre not married and can swing it.

4.0+, your school gives out "A+"s? Lucky, thats a legal way to "cheat" and get a leg up on the competition cuz most schools dont give 4.0+.

Man that's crazy. it's getting so competitive. People are applying early, demonstrating upward trends, destroying the DAT and yet still not gaining acceptances. Well since my chances don't look too great this time around. I'm gonna pursue about 30 credits as a post bacc until next year and aim for high grades only and see what next cycle with an early submission has to offer me.

Man that's crazy. it's getting so competitive. People are applying early, demonstrating upward trends, destroying the DAT and yet still not gaining acceptances. Well since my chances don't look too great this time around. I'm gonna pursue about 30 credits as a post bacc until next year and aim for high grades only and see what next cycle with an early submission has to offer me.
This whole application process is crazy! The standard has gone up. An 18 and 19 is not as impressive as it once was. You need to get a 20+ to get looked at. However, there are those exceptions and there are several of them. Anything is possible.

I know! Almost every school now has 20 average DAT for matriculating students and a 3.5 GPA.

Is anybody on this forum an admissions officer? It doesn't look like it...so chill out man, you literally just submitted, you should NOT be throwing in the towel for this cycle already

Is anybody on this forum an admissions officer? It doesn't look like it...so chill out man, you literally just submitted, you should NOT be throwing in the towel for this cycle already
They do watch the forum and they have replied before...

I completely disagree with this. I have a 20 overall DAT score with 3.9 science GPA. Only got ONE interview. The trend I am seeing is that people with high DAT (above 21) but low GPA have at least five interviews and people like me that have worked hard all four years have only one just because of the DAT score. It's almost making me think if everything I have done until this point is useless. I have had more research and extracurricular activity hours than you could possibly imagine. Great LORs from the best of the best schools and yet I am biting my nails all day and everyday hoping and praying for another interview. Undergrad GPA or pre-reqs shouldn't even be a requirement anymore because so far I haven't seen any trend that makes me believe that it matters.

I completely disagree with this. I have a 20 overall DAT score with 3.9 science GPA. Only got ONE interview. The trend I am seeing is that people with high DAT (above 21) but low GPA have at least five interviews and people like me that have worked hard all four years have only one just because of the DAT score. It's almost making me think if everything I have done until this point is useless. I have had more research and extracurricular activity hours than you could possibly imagine. Great LORs from the best of the best schools and yet I am biting my nails all day and everyday hoping and praying for another interview. Undergrad GPA or pre-reqs shouldn't even be a requirement anymore because so far I haven't seen any trend that makes me believe that it matters.

+pity+

This is the reason adcoms say they don't always want kids who have great GPAs. You haven't had any failures in school and react like a child once a little speed bump comes.

Reactions: 2 users
+pity+

This is the reason adcoms say they don't always want kids who have great GPAs. You haven't had any failures in school and react like a child once a little speed bump comes.
I don't think I am acting like a child. I have not called any schools begging for an interview. All I was trying to say is that the low GPA won't decrease your chance compared to high GPA people of getting into a dental school. I was also trying to make the point that you could have partied your way through college but just getting a high DAT score will get you everything you need.

I don't think I am acting like a child. I have not called any schools begging for an interview. All I was trying to say is that the low GPA won't decrease your chance compared to high GPA people of getting into a dental school. I was also trying to make the point that you could have partied your way through college but just getting a high DAT score will get you everything you need.
Low GPA because someone "partied their way through school" ≠ Low GPA for other reasons. Some people battle to pay for school, raise children, struggle with family or personal crisis, etc - the list goes on. Adcoms are not idiots, and it's fairly easy to tell from an application who has overcome struggle and persevered, and who has a low GPA because they drank too much and didn't want to wake up for class. I think it's a little flippant to say that GPA doesn't matter and that all can be mended by a killer DAT score. Don't get me wrong, some people with low GPAs just didn't want to try in college and still get in, but many have worked tirelessly to ameliorate their past mistakes (post-bacc, masters programs, incredible ECs and work experience). Try to keep in mind, the number you see on SDN tells you very little about the person and their abilities. I have no doubt you'll get in, but try to be patient and lose the resentment toward people you don't feel deserve to be getting interviews - you know very little about them.

Low GPA because someone "partied their way through school" ≠ Low GPA for other reasons. Some people battle to pay for school, raise children, struggle with family or personal crisis, etc - the list goes on. Adcoms are not idiots, and it's fairly easy to tell from an application who has overcome struggle and persevered, and who has a low GPA because they drank too much and didn't want to wake up for class. I think it's a little flippant to say that GPA doesn't matter and that all can be mended by a killer DAT score. Don't get me wrong, some people with low GPAs just didn't want to try in college and still get in, but many have worked tirelessly to ameliorate their past mistakes (post-bacc, masters programs, incredible ECs and work experience). Try to keep in mind, the number you see on SDN tells you very little about the person and their abilities. I have no doubt you'll get in, but try to be patient and lose the resentment toward people you don't feel deserve to be getting interviews - you know very little about them.
Trust me when I say, I have been through all of it. From providing for the family to paying for a private college and living on my own-- I know what struggle is like.

I don't believe that there are people that deserve interviews less than I do. Obviously they knew better than I did, which is why they are in a better position than I am, even with lower stats. All I am saying is that getting into professional schools is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. It's all about articulating your application and focusing on the right things. I may have worked 10 folds as hard but that doesn't make me a better candidate than someone who didn't. In another words, the person who originally posted this thread is worried about hisGPA. Putting forth my understudying of how candidates are being chosen is only my way of telling @virajpatel not to worry. He is proved to the schools that he has potential just by the DAT score. That will definitely weigh in a lot more that screw ups that happened during his undergrad. I apologize if anyone thought I was being cold or harsh towards them. You all are definitely in a better standing than I am so I am no one to comment on anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
@molarbear123 I appreciate you looking out even with your situation it just make me realize how petty my situation is. I just need to work hard even if this cycle doesn't work out. Thanks!!

@molarbear123 I appreciate you looking out even with your situation it just make me realize how petty my situation is. I just need to work hard even if this cycle doesn't work out. Thanks!!

Stay positive. I have nearly the exact same stats as you, had little to no hope the past month or so, but just got my first interview. I think it's all about having a well-rounded, articulate application. Unfortunately I have a misdemeanor which I'm sure is killing my chances at some schools, but in your case I'd say you have a definite shot!

@xerxes106 Good luck to you! I applied a little later so hoping for the best. But did you do a post bacc or masters?

Also, I was wondering do you guys think that after taking my 6 credits as a post bacc this semester and starting a masters in the winter (if this cycle gets me no interviews) and taking another class or two in the summer then applying next cycle would be beneficial?

Another question so most schools say they don't accept DATs after 2 years does that mean I can apply with it next cycle and the cycle after that if taken August 2014 or just this cycle and next cycle?

No post bacc at all.......I won a Fulbright and have done about 4 years of research otherwise no formal classes since I graduated.

Adding more classes (assuming you do well in them) will definitely help for next cycle. Show improvement.

Yeah guys i'm screwed for this cycle, kind of embarrassed to even share but I need advice.

My GPA calculations just came in and my cGPA is 2.80, sGPA 2.46 and BCP 2.54. Boy am i screwed. What should be my plan from here on out besides of course giving up dentistry because that is certainly not an option?

master's program. Kill it. 20+ DAT score. Shadowing and volunteering. Aim for at least a 3.5 GPA in a Master's program.

Reactions: 1 users