Chances With a Dramatic GPA Turn-Around After ADHD Treatment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistryKat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just want to thank whoever takes the time to read this. I am a junior at a highly ranked private university for Pre-med studies. I have had ADHD my entire life, but my parents never wanted to put me on medication. I obviously was able to cope in high school and it wasn't until college that I went down a slippery slope. I have wanted to be a doctor ever since I was little, so I hope there is still a good chance I haven't screwed up everything. My grades slipped to whopping 2.75 by second semester of sophomore year and I realized I couldn't do this on my own anymore. I also convinced my parents to allow me to seek treatment. After a month of retesting, during the middle of the 2nd semester of sophomore year, I was put on treatment. It has made an unimaginable difference. My grades are up to 3.0 going in to my junior year and look to be between a 3.2-3.3 by the end of this semester without retaking any courses. If I retake courses and continue to have an upward trend, what are my chances? I haven't yet taken the MCAT, as I was thinking about a gap year, so my senior year grades would also factor into the mix. Also, any advice you could give me would be wonderful. I have a considerable amount of volunteer hours/shadowing and I'm also in greek life. I would also love to do research or join more medical clubs, but my GPA has severely limited my options.
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Continue improving your grades and you definitely have a shot, especially if you get a high MCAT. It is indeed a good idea to take a gap year so your grades will become as high as possible.

There are a number of schools that value reinvention and look more closely at the last 2-3 years of your UG profile. Plus, everyone loves a good come-from-behind story. So, just keep doing what you're doing.

Hi, I just want to thank whoever takes the time to read this. I am a junior at a highly ranked private university for Pre-med studies. I have had ADHD my entire life, but my parents never wanted to put me on medication. I obviously was able to cope in high school and it wasn't until college that I went down a slippery slope. I have wanted to be a doctor ever since I was little, so I hope there is still a good chance I haven't screwed up everything. My grades slipped to whopping 2.75 by second semester of sophomore year and I realized I couldn't do this on my own anymore. I also convinced my parents to allow me to seek treatment. After a month of retesting, during the middle of the 2nd semester of sophomore year, I was put on treatment. It has made an unimaginable difference. My grades are up to 3.0 going in to my junior year and look to be between a 3.2-3.3 by the end of this semester without retaking any courses. If I retake courses and continue to have an upward trend, what are my chances? I haven't yet taken the MCAT, as I was thinking about a gap year, so my senior year grades would also factor into the mix. Also, any advice you could give me would be wonderful. I have a considerable amount of volunteer hours/shadowing and I'm also in greek life. I would also love to do research or join more medical clubs, but my GPA has severely limited my options.
Thanks guys!