Chances with an SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoiswho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I haven't seen any threads for anyone in my situation, so I could use some advice!
I am in an SMP now and finished last semester with a 4.0 and am working hard this semester to do just as well. Undergrad I had a 3.2 cum and around a 3.0 Sci GPA (upward trend). I would like to apply to MD programs this coming cycle. I plan on returning for a second year in my SMP and I understand that schools may hold my application next Fall until the first semester grades have been released. I am going to re-take the MCAT in May and hope to get above a 30. I have lots of research, volunteering, leadership and ECs.
So with a year of solid grad/med school grades under my belt, what are my chances?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd be better off asking the counselors affiliated with your program what your statistical likelihood of an acceptance might be from their program. Presumably it will depend on whether your program has linkage to a med school, your retake MCAT score, and whether your ECs are up to snuff. I think I read somewhere here on SDN that nationally your chances are something like 35%. If you continue to perform well, it will surely be higher.