Chances With Chosen Schools... Should I Reevaluate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshuadrc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could definitely pick schools that are more out of state friendly (aka you could probably drop the UC's, florida schools, and north carolina). Might as well apply to the rest of the Michigan schools, maybe add some more Chicago, NYC, or Ohio schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely see the strategy in that, but I am fairly desperate to leave the midwest. I know the UC's are notorious for not liking OOS, but the Florida/North Carolina schools are as well?

I should clarify the basis of my post... My application is already submitted. Those are the schools I already chose, I am looking for more a "chances" perspective.

That said-- You don't believe I have good chances with the UC schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
You clearly have a shot with all the universities you picked. I'd be awed if you didn't get an interview to at least 50% of the schools you applied too.

Keep the FL schools. They're good with OOSers. About 45-50 for USF and about 20ish for UCF. Good luck!

I didn't see your state of residence?...

You seem like a very strong applicant -- I'd add some of the TX schools if you can find the application money. The cost of attendance is so low that it could be a worthy gamble, and your numbers are good enough that you might meet the 10% OOS worthiness test.

Where else would you like to go?

Goro suggests (assuming you're a MI resident).

Duke
Dartmouth
Michigan State
Northwestern
University of South Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Michigan
Wayne State University
Vanderbilt
Pitt
Cornell
Columbia
Yale(in striking distance)
NYU
All other MI schools
Emory
U Penn (maybe)
Brown (maybe)
Einstein
Mt Sinai
BU
Loyola
IU
U ILL
U WI (maybe)
U Toledo
OH State
U Cinci
USC
U Miami
Tulane (if you like hot/muggy with great food)

I definitely see the strategy in that, but I am fairly desperate to leave the midwest. I know the UC's are notorious for not liking OOS, but the Florida/North Carolina schools are as well?

I should clarify the basis of my post... My application is already submitted. Those are the schools I already chose, I am looking for more a "chances" perspective.

I'd say you have a very slim chance at any of the UC's. Think about applying to more mid tiers in New York if you want to leave the mid west like Einstein/Albany/SUNY schools.

UCLA doesn't care what state you are from, so you are good there. UC Davis pretty much only takes CA residents so drop that one. UC Irvine and UCSD favor CA but still take a decent amount of OOS, so consider it a normal competitive OOS app.

UCLA doesn't care what state you are from, so you are good there. UC Davis pretty much only takes CA residents so drop that one. UC Irvine and UCSD favor CA but still take a decent amount of OOS, so consider it a normal competitive OOS app.
Although UCLA "officially" doesn't care what state you are from, they (and all the other UC's) have an extremely strong in-state bias. Looking at the MSAR data from last year: In-state: 154 matriculants from 6179 applications, Out of state: 21 matriculants from 3375 applications. If they truly didn't have an IS bias it'd be closer to 110/65, but its not.

Although UCLA "officially" doesn't care what state you are from, they (and all the other UC's) have an extremely strong in-state bias. Looking at the MSAR data from last year: In-state: 154 matriculants from 6179 applications, Out of state: 21 matriculants from 3375 applications. If they truly didn't have an IS bias it'd be closer to 110/65, but its not.
In comparison to all the other UCs, UCLA doesn't care. If all we are looking at is matriculation data then USC has a large IS bias as well, but most of it is likely selection bias of applicants. There is just a ridiculous amount of qualified CA applicants.

In comparison to all the other UCs, UCLA doesn't care. If all we are looking at is matriculation data then USC has a large IS bias as well, but most of it is likely selection bias of applicants. There is just a ridiculous amount of qualified CA applicants.
UCLA does care. They have OOS percentages comparable to UCSD/UCSF. UCSF: 135 in state, 29 OOS, UCSD: 105 instate, 20 OOS.

If money's not an issue, then yes apply to as many schools in locations that you would like to go that may not be the most OOS friendly (less than 1/4 OOS) that you don't have the best odds to get in at, even with your application. I'm just saying that it might be safe to add some schools where maybe closer to half of the class or more is OOS, and that are still in desirable locations for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if I can add more schools AFTER my primary application is sent out to all the schools?

To my knowledge, in order to add more schools I have to resubmit my application for processing (it is aready processed) which would take another 6 weeks. Right now, my original application should be sent out on June 27th. Could I go in and add Columbia and all of your other suggestions on June 28th? That way, I would keep my early application advantage, and just be a little later on the new schools! Is this possible?

Does anyone know if I can add more schools AFTER my primary application is sent out to all the schools?

To my knowledge, in order to add more schools I have to resubmit my application for processing (it is aready processed) which would take another 6 weeks. Right now, my original application should be sent out on June 27th. Could I go in and add Columbia and all of your other suggestions on June 28th? That way, I would keep my early application advantage, and just be a little later on the new schools! Is this possible?
You don't have to resubmit for processing to add more schools. If you're already verified, you can add schools right now and there is no processing delay.

It's not so much an IS bias as a superabundance of overqualified IS applicants who all want to stay here. We export 2/3's of our excellent matriculates to other states!