Chances without a Science-Related Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubba416

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Just curious...I know that most vet schools say it is okay to have a non-science degree, but does anyone know if not having a science degree hurts your chances? I graduated three years ago with a Bachelor's in Science in History Education. I chose history because I am naturally good at it and I thought that is what I wanted to do. Three years later (and older for that matter), I have completely changed my mind and now I really want to go to vet school. I have always loved animals (especially cats!) and I now want to give it a try. I don't think I was mature enough to decide this years ago. I am pretty good at most subjects (maybe not chem haha), but I graduated with my first degree at a 3.9 GPA. I have started to take the pre-reqs for vet school. I am currently in pre-calc right now and plan on taking chemistry/calculus next semester. Any thoughts? Should I go ahead and get a degree in science? I'm 25, so I am trying to get the pre-reqs done quickly. Wish I had decided this before! :)

Thanks for any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

Just curious...I know that most vet schools say it is okay to have a non-science degree, but does anyone know if not having a science degree hurts your chances? I graduated three years ago with a Bachelor's in Science in History Education. I chose history because I am naturally good at it and I thought that is what I wanted to do. Three years later (and older for that matter), I have completely changed my mind and now I really want to go to vet school. I have always loved animals (especially cats!) and I now want to give it a try. I don't think I was mature enough to decide this years ago. I am pretty good at most subjects (maybe not chem haha), but I graduated with my first degree at a 3.9 GPA. I have started to take the pre-reqs for vet school. I am currently in pre-calc right now and plan on taking chemistry/calculus next semester. Any thoughts? Should I go ahead and get a degree in science? I'm 25, so I am trying to get the pre-reqs done quickly. Wish I had decided this before! :)

Thanks for any input :)

According to everything I've read and heard, it won't hurt you and might be an asset, if you can explain how your experiences will make you a better veterinarian.

Most schools don't care what your undergrad major was.

Far more important is completing all your prereqs while maintaining good grades. Once you have all your prereqs planned out, then you should look at what else you need to take to get a second bachelors. If it would only take a few extra classes, I say go for it. But if it would require a lot of extra work, you have to decide if you really want to do that much extra for something which may or may not effect your chances.

BTW, how much vet experience do you have? If it is a small amount, you will have to look into volunteering at some clinics... which will cut into your study time.

GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, it doesn't matter at all as long as you complete (and do well in) the required science courses. I did the EXACT same thing as you, only graduated with a degree in psychology. I went back to school, did well in the required sciences, and took some extra science electives just to add to my application. The question that they will ask when they see a 2nd career applicant is "is this candidate serious about vetmed?" you have to prove that THIS is now your passion and not your previous career. Just make sure you do well in your prereqs and get a lot of veterinary experience!

Doesn't matter. My degree is in English Lit. I went back, finished science pre-reqs, and got into my IS (and the only school to which I applied) on my first try. Just make sure you can demonstrate that this is something you've thought through (via your experience, animal/vet hours, etc.), and you'll be cool.

For getting in it doesn't matter, but I still maintain, it is a bit more difficult for the non-science majors at the beginning of vet school. Not impossible, just a bit more difficult.

Thank you everyone for the responses (it gives me hope!) I have about two to three years before I can apply to vet school. Along with the pre-reqs, I was going to try to get as much experience as I can in the meantime (right now I don't have that much). I heard trying to find a vet to shadow can be hard, but I am hoping I will find someone close by. I really want to work with wildlife and hopefully I can do some volunteer work at some zoos/wildlife rescue centers. If anyone has any other suggestions as far as experience, please let me know. I will need all the advice I can get :)
Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for the responses (it gives me hope!) I have about two to three years before I can apply to vet school. Along with the pre-reqs, I was going to try to get as much experience as I can in the meantime (right now I don't have that much). I heard trying to find a vet to shadow can be hard, but I am hoping I will find someone close by. I really want to work with wildlife and hopefully I can do some volunteer work at some zoos/wildlife rescue centers. If anyone has any other suggestions as far as experience, please let me know. I will need all the advice I can get :)
Thanks again.

My advice on that is to make sure you get experience in a few areas as well. They like to see varied experience (large animal, small animal, zoo, food animal, etc.). But for now, try and get what you can. And don't forget, they only count as "animal experience" not "veterinary experience" if you aren't working for/shadowing directly under a veterinarian. :luck: