MD & DO chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ALLO: sGPA 3.16, cGPA 3.21, MCAT in November.
OSTEO: sGPA 3.56, cGPA 3.45

(Hours are current, will be more by the time I apply)
LOR's will be excellent
Clinical experience- EMT-B at 911 service- 3,500+ hours
Volunteering in a nursing home- 200 hours
Experience as a Pharmacy tech- 80 hours
Youth cheerleading coach- 2000 hours
Tumbling coach- 200 hours
Tutor (A&P, intro biology, statistics) 150 hours
Division II cheerleader
uncommon hobbies

cancer research experience- 50 hours (will be continuing this throughout the rest of UG)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you're a URM, MD chances are going to be pretty week regardless of your MCAT. DO will be doable with a 28+ MCAT. If you can bump your GPA up into the 3.3 range over your senior year it will significantly improve your odds.

Unless you're a URM, MD chances are going to be pretty week regardless of your MCAT. DO will be doable with a 28+ MCAT. If you can bump your GPA up into the 3.3 range over your senior year it will significantly improve your odds.
@Mad Jack So I should wait even if it means giving up a few schools?
If I wait until I am done with senior year my GPA should be around 3.5 for MD. 3.8 for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mad Jack So I should wait even if it means giving up a few schools?
If I wait until I am done with senior year my GPA should be around 3.5 for MD. 3.8 for DO.
Wait, I missed a few key details... You will certainly be good for osteo schools, and -possibly- some low tier MDs as well if you apply this spring. If you waited and pulled off a 3.5 you would be more competitive for MD, certainly, but you'd lose a year. Think about your career goals and whether the downsides of being a DO will hinder them. If not, apply this spring. If you need that MD to be a neurorectal surgeon or whatever, then wait a year to give yourself a better shot at the MD side.

Wait, I missed a few key details... You will certainly be good for osteo schools, and -possibly- some low tier MDs as well if you apply this spring. If you waited and pulled off a 3.5 you would be more competitive for MD, certainly, but you'd lose a year. Think about your career goals and whether the downsides of being a DO will hinder them. If not, apply this spring. If you need that MD to be a neurorectal surgeon or whatever, then wait a year to give yourself a better shot at the MD side.
I have zero desire to be a neurorectal surgeon :)
Thanks for your advice!
EDIT: I edited after your initial post.... which may be why you missed some minor details.

Reactions: 1 users
MD chances non-existent, but really great for DO. Even by next spring, unless you live in LA or AL, you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

*edit: other thread title was misleading!
ALLO: sGPA 3.16, cGPA 3.21, MCAT in November.
OSTEO: sGPA 3.56, cGPA 3.45
If I apply this coming spring (2015), sGPA should be ~3.31 and cGPA of ~3.36
Should I apply for the 2015-2016 cycle or wait it out (let my MCAT go bad for a few schools, I am really hoping for some love from IU!) or apply in the 2016-17 cycle?

(Hours are current, will be more by the time I apply)
LOR's will be excellent
Clinical experience- EMT-B at 911 service- 3,500+ hours
Volunteering in a nursing home- 200 hours
Experience as a Pharmacy tech- 80 hours
Youth cheerleading coach- 2000 hours
Tumbling coach- 200 hours
Tutor (A&P, intro biology, statistics) 150 hours
Division II cheerleader
uncommon hobbies

cancer research experience- 50 hours (will be continuing this throughout the rest of UG)

MD chances non-existent, but really great for DO. Even by next spring, unless you live in LA or AL, you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
@Goro so go for DO and not waste time trying for MD?
Either way is fine by me. I will eventually get to the 3.5/3.6 but it will push my app back 2 years.

If this happens and your MCAT > 36, you can be good for mid tier MD schools.
Waiting a year will raise my GPA for DO even more and maybe let me apply to low/mid tier MD depending on my MCAT.
So conflicted on what to do.

Try to do well on the MCAT and shoot for the stars!

Reactions: 1 user
Try to do well on the MCAT and shoot for the stars!
I am taking organic I and molecular bio (possibly orgo I lab) so hopefully I can knock out some heavy duty studying before then! I am doing 1.5 months content review (BR books) and the remaining will be AAMC FL testing/reviewing concept areas I am weak in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention... I will be 21 when I apply. Would this be a reason to wait? I can assure you I am mature enough, but I know age discrimination does exist.

How is your GPA trend?

If its been going up the past couple semesters you could have a decent shot at MD (esp IU) if you take another year of classes and get a 31+ MCAT.

Ideally with your ECs you'd want at least a 3.4/31 to be competitive.

I wouldn't be in hurry to start med school if you're still 21. In any event, another year to boost your grades will also help to get into better and cheaper DO schools.

Thanks for the reply @alpinism Since I transferred to my new/current school my GPA has been >3.65 every term. Usually around a 3.85.
I am only 20 now, will be turning 21. My only concern about waiting is that IU is requiring the new MCAT.

I would also double check your hours because they seem a little sketchy, if you're saying you're 20 I'm not sure how someone completes undergrad coursework with 3,500+ hours of EMT work. Not to mention 2,000 hours of another job and close to another thousand of other activities.

.4 on a GPA also seems quite harsh for your DO vs. MD discrepancy.
Worry about scoring 28+ on your MCAT for DO, and about a 33+ for MD's with your low GPA, then your chances will be more apparent.

Update :
Your total hours amount to 6,000+
There are 8,760 hours in a year (if you don't sleep)

My hours are correct, I began college before I turned 18. Hence the low GPA, working to make ends meet = less time to focus on school
And if there are questions I have documentation for all of my activities.
GPA discrepancy was a C and D in courses that I retook to get A's, and not counting math courses.

^^^^
In the majority of states you must be 17-18 to become certified as an EMT.
3,500 hours is a year and half of working full time.
That on top of 2,500 other hours in two years just does not seem very plausible.
I'm not saying it did not happen, just saying that it may raise a red flag to AMCAS/AACOMAS.

Considering doing a masters degree to take time off without really 'taking time off' since I am still young.
Any thoughts on an SMP vs. normal masters program?

@Perry6 ... If you can bring that AMCAS GPA up to 3.4+ and get a 34+ MCAT, I think you might have a shot at low tier MD... However, getting 34+ MCAT is not easy.

So possibly unwise to shoot for a MS? If I get straight As my GPA will be 3.5s/3.6c when I graduate.
If you graduate with a 3.5+ c/sGPA, you should be ok for low tier MD with a 33+ MCAT. You won't need an MS/SMP/Postbacc IMO. Your ECs are great!