chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSBM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS IV from a DO school. Step 1: 242. Step 2: 212. GPA 3.56. Letters from 2 anesthesiologists and 1 surgeon.

Has anyone ever been in this situation or know anyone in this situation?
What should I do? I would love to end up in Texas or Florida for anesthesiology residency, but I am open to going anywhere.
How much is step 2 weighted? How am I supposed to explain this one to the program director/interviewer?
I scored 78% on uworld, killed the NBME practices exams and UWSA, and did basically the same studying style as I did for step 1, but I got wrecked. One month till ERAS opens and I don't know what to do.

Any help is appreciated. THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

That borderline-passing Step 2 is a killer. First of all, you will be filtered out automatically by a number of programs; they won't even see your application. For the rest, you'd better come up with a good explanation (did not sleep the night before etc.).

Hopefully, if you have an otherwise strong application and are likable, you will end up with a position, but I would apply as broadly as I can afford. Whoever ends up inviting you for an interview will not care that much about that single sore spot, but you might not get that many interviews. Some programs don't care a lot about Step 2 but, if they see that result, they might.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it kinda strange that you got a good step 1 and a lower step 2? Not rhetorical. I just am curious what happened?? Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, wtf happened to your step 2??? I would definitely guess its going to hurt you but probably won't kill you.

Me: DO, 237 step 1, 257 step 2. applied to about 75, received 25 offers. Just apply do a bunch and you should be ok, and DO NOT limit yourself regionally. The florida programs are tough with UF-gainesville and UM being very competitive for DOs. UF-jax isnt great so try not to end up there. The texas programs are pretty DO friendly, especially UT-houston and UT-galveston.

Apply to all programs in your geographical region, then look at the rest of the mid-tiers and apply to those at which you'd be ok to match. Apply to reach schools you'd like to attend if they have accepted DOs in the past.

I don't think it's a deal breaker, but you probably won't end up at mayo.