chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike1346

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just wondering what are my chances for some the schools I am applying too. I am part of a bs/MD program so I have guaranteed acceptance to a mid tier state medical school. So as a result the only reason I would leave he program is to attend one of the top universities.

The schools I would apply to:
Harvard, Hopkins , UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, washu, northwestern, and u of c.

My stats are:
4.0 GPA
37 MCAT
200+ hours volunteering (hospital)
80+ hours physician shadowing
1.5 years research
Various student activities

I know being accepted into the institutions I listed is no guarantee, but is there any part of my resume that I should focus on improving or adding during my gap year.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how your guaranteed program works, but I would be worried that any top school you apply to would be sketched out about poaching you from another medical school. Not trying to give you a hard time, but why did you pursue the guaranteed acceptance path if it was only a backup option?

I don't know how your guaranteed program works, but I would be worried that any top school you apply to would be sketched out about poaching you from another medical school. Not trying to give you a hard time, but why did you pursue the guaranteed acceptance path if it was only a backup option?

The guarantee program actually encourages students to apply out so I guess it be unique in that sense.

As for why I choose the program, it was mainly as a matter of security to pursue what I wanted to do. The school I'm guaranteed into is great and also cheap so I am more than happy to go there. With that being said After going through/finishing undergraduate studies I feel like I have a shot at a top flight school and I want to prepare myself to give myself the best possible chance at getting into a top institution thus the asking around on the forums for advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your definitively a above average applicant stat wise but its very hard to predict getting into any of the top programs. I would say your chances are fair at the schools you listed since nothing really pops out that is unique about you (no offense). If you can apply out and still hold your spot I would go for it, but would not advise giving up a spot at a school you admit liking if applying out forfeits your spot. It also would probably not hurt to get some sort of leadership experience if you do not already have so (like a president of one of the organizations you belong to) and some sort of non medical altruistic volunteering.

Your definitively a above average applicant stat wise but its very hard to predict getting into any of the top programs. I would say your chances are fair at the schools you listed since nothing really pops out that is unique about you (no offense). If you can apply out and still hold your spot I would go for it, but would not advise giving up a spot at a school you admit liking if applying out forfeits your spot.

No offense taken, I realize I'm a pretty typical premed. My current school holds my spot for me so that wouldn't be an issue when applying out so like you said that's why I'm going for it.
I'm taking a gap year after the spring semester, are there any recommendations you may have for sticking out? Perhaps a mission trip or americorps etc... Thanks for the help.

Also, I have no idea about the specifics of your program, but I understand the concept. Someone else might know better, BUT... if they've guaranteed acceptance to you, I would make sure there is no clause that states you have guaranteed you will take that spot. Because that could get ugly if you backed out under those circumstances. Again, I don't know, that would be something to look into if you want to be smart about it.

No offense taken, I realize I'm a pretty typical premed. My current school holds my spot for me so that wouldn't be an issue when applying out so like you said that's why I'm going for it.
I'm taking a gap year after the spring semester, are there any recommendations you may have for sticking out? Perhaps a mission trip or americorps etc... Thanks for the help.

I'm under the impression missions trips are generally not looked at strongly. I've heard nothing but good things about the Americorps though and that sounds like it would be a good way to improve your app a bit.

I'm under the impression missions trips are generally not looked at strongly. I've heard nothing but good things about the Americorps though and that sounds like it would be a good way to improve your app a bit.

I will definitely look unto americorps. I also should have included that my research was not traditional lab work. It was in the field of historical neuroscience. It involved a lot of interviewing, document searching , and what not. Would it be a detriment that I don't have traditional lab research ?