Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwhi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current senior graduating this December (started college in January '12 due to financial issues) and I plan on taking the MCAT either in this coming summer or early fall to be into medical school by August of 2017.

sGPA is a 3.28, but my first 3 semesters of college went very poorly. Since then, I got an A in Organic Chem I and II, A- in Cell and Molec and in Animal Physiology, A in both Physics I and II, and a B+ in both Biochem and Genetics.
cGPA is a 3.41 but as I said, my first 3 semesters were not good.

Resume highlights:
  • Paid research at the NIH this past summer
  • 100+ hours of shadowing extremely well respected doctors at CHOP and The Rothman Institute (along with others)
  • Approximately 60 hours of volunteering at a Physical Therapy office
  • Internship at Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine
  • Anatomy TA for 4 semesters
  • Pre Med Association
  • Executive board in my fraternity

I can definitely get very good recommendations from well-known DOs and MDs in the Philadelphia area, but I know that does not automatically get me in.

I live in New Jersey, so I will be applying to Rowan's MD and DO schools, along with Rutgers and Robert Wood Johnson. I also will be applying to schools in Philadelphia like PCOM, Drexel, Temple, and Thomas Jefferson and then other schools in the country as well. Temple and Thomas Jefferson are my dream schools, but I know that my freshman year shenanigans eliminated me from being in their GPA range.

What are my chances of being accepted my first time around (pending a good MCAT score)?
Should I look into more DO schools than MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.