Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to see what people think my chances are and if anyone has any advice or tips for me!

Almost done filling out PTCAS but have not sent in transcripts yet so I don't have those calculated GPA's.

Overall GPA 3.2, BS Exercise Science
GRE (old one, took in July) - 450V, 460Q, 3.5W - Could have prepared better but never been a great test taker.

113 Observation hours (80 outpatient, 33 in patient)
2 different internships ~500 total hours with university Strength and Conditioning departments.

Should have pretty good letters of recommendations and essays, still finishing up some pre-reqs (chem and physics). Hoping my experience/background with the internships will help me out.

I know I should probably take GRE again, but it will be the new revised test and scores won't go out until November.

Looking to stay in FL. St. Augustine is my first choice. Also looking at NOVA and UCF.

So lay it on me! Chances? At least an interview?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to see what people think my chances are and if anyone has any advice or tips for me!

Almost done filling out PTCAS but have not sent in transcripts yet so I don't have those calculated GPA's.

Overall GPA 3.2, BS Exercise Science
GRE (old one, took in July) - 450V, 460Q, 3.5W - Could have prepared better but never been a great test taker.

113 Observation hours (80 outpatient, 33 in patient)
2 different internships ~500 total hours with university Strength and Conditioning departments.

Should have pretty good letters of recommendations and essays, still finishing up some pre-reqs (chem and physics). Hoping my experience/background with the internships will help me out.

I know I should probably take GRE again, but it will be the new revised test and scores won't go out until November.

Looking to stay in FL. St. Augustine is my first choice. Also looking at NOVA and UCF.

So lay it on me! Chances? At least an interview?

Thanks!

We are applying to the same schools. What term are you trying to start St. Augustine? I'm applying for the May start.

My breakdown of you:

Your overall GPA isn't bad, and you have great experience. You forgot to include one of your most important stats, prerequisite GPA. Your GRE score is a little low...especially that quant score (which percentile is that? is it under/over 50%) and analytical. I would almost recommend you to retake it if you could as most people do better the second time, at least I did. St. Augustine and UCF do not use PTCAS and both have different systems for who they interview. They look at last 60 hour GPA which may help or hurt you. St. Augustine has three cycles per year and many more seats than UCF which leads to it being a little less competitive. Average GRE score of UCF current year DPT students, I think, is an 1190. UCF interviews the top 100.

I honestly think you have a pretty nice shot of getting an interview at St. Augustine, but maybe not UCF unless you have a great prerequisite GPA and your last 60 is impressive as well. Really, it all depends on the applicants that year.

Saint Augustine is also my first choice with UCF being my reach school. I looked at Nova but my god are they expensive. I have friends who go there now and I can't imagine paying back that kind of debt. Nova is also getting more competitive thanks to PTCAS and the increasing number of applicants.

I know you say you can't take the GRE again because scores will be out in November but UCF and Saint Augustine don't use PTCAS. Their deadlines, at least UCFs, are in December.

Well, I hope I gave you some good info. How is it down there in Saint Augustine, Florida? I can't wait to check it out!

Thanks!

Yes, I am looking at USA for May 2012.

I probably will take the GRE again just because. And yea, that quant is below 50%!

I am not sure on my pre-req GPA yet as I am still finishing up a few.

I am just about ready to send in my USA app in the next week or 2.

And FL is great. I am not in St. Augustine, but have been there and I will be attending their open house in Sept.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yes, I am looking at USA for May 2012.

I probably will take the GRE again just because. And yea, that quant is below 50%!

I am not sure on my pre-req GPA yet as I am still finishing up a few.

I am just about ready to send in my USA app in the next week or 2.

And FL is great. I am not in St. Augustine, but have been there and I will be attending their open house in Sept.

Open house? Thanks for the heads up! Booking my flight now haha

Good luck with your applications...they just received my app yesterday. Seems like a great school