Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buggsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I'm currently a Junior with a 3.90 GPA and around a 3.9 sGPA. I'm also a URM
My sGPA may drop a little depending on how my classes go this semester

I started clinical volunteering in June, but there will be a two month gap period.
I'll have around 1.5 years of tutoring
I start research next semester at a psyc lab
I help out at a first grade class for this semester and next semester I'll probably be helping out at the elementary school for their after school hours.
I plan on looking for shadowing opportunities soon

Is there anything else I need to look into? I want to apply next cycle

Members don't see this ad.

it sounds like alot of your activites you are starting now or will be, which won't give you much time. Try to get alot of hours shadowing, and continue tutoring. What leadership do you have? Oh, and make sure to study well for the MCAT. Right now, unless you have more EC, they are kind of weak....sometimes admissions look at applications and see only 1 activity for each category and it looks like applicants just did that to "check them off their list". Your GPA is good though, keep up the good work!

ps....any hobbies? I'm sure you do something for fun

Hello
I'm currently a Junior with a 3.90 GPA and around a 3.9 sGPA. I'm also a URM
My sGPA may drop a little depending on how my classes go this semester

I started clinical volunteering in June, but there will be a two month gap period.
I'll have around 1.5 years of tutoring
I start research next semester at a psyc lab
I help out at a first grade class for this semester and next semester I'll probably be helping out at the elementary school for their after school hours.
I plan on looking for shadowing opportunities soon

Is there anything else I need to look into? I want to apply next cycle
Very nice GPAs.

The longevity of the tutoring is good. Is it paid or volunteer?

What leisuretimne activites do you have?

Why will you take off two months from the clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very nice GPAs.

The longevity of the tutoring is good. Is it paid or volunteer?

What leisuretimne activites do you have?

Why will you take off two months from the clinical experience?

it's volunteering. And the only leisure time activity I can think of at the moment is stamp collecting.
And I took two months off because I volunteered at a hospital back home, and had to go through the process to volunteer at a hospital closer to my university and that took a little more time than usual.

1) it's volunteering.
2) And the only leisure time activity I can think of at the moment is stamp collecting.
1) Even better.
2) Reading, exercise, watching old movies, etc are other examples of leisuretime activities you could put into one space along with the stamp collecting.

Plan to continue the clinical volunteering, at least one form of nonmedical community service, and perhaps the research, through your application cycle next year. Maybe consider adding some peer leadership, too.

Update:
So I mostly made A-'s last semester which dropped my GPA to a 3.85 I haven't recalculated by SGPA as of yet. This semester will probably be more or less the same.
I'm still volunteering at the hospital and am looking for shadowing opportunities.
Research is going good so far and I apply next semester to start my senior honors thesis
I'm still tutoring
I've also become a bio lab TA and will most likely continue it next semester
I will probably start volunteering at the local shelter near my school within the next couple months.
Due to my schedule I can no longer help out at the elementary school like I would like. However, I was wondering what type of volunteering can this count as

Is there anything else I should work on before I apply this summer?

Update:
So I mostly made A-'s last semester which dropped my GPA to a 3.85 I haven't recalculated by SGPA as of yet. This semester will probably be more or less the same.
I'm still volunteering at the hospital and am looking for shadowing opportunities.
Research is going good so far and I apply next semester to start my senior honors thesis
I'm still tutoring
I've also become a bio lab TA and will most likely continue it next semester
I will probably start volunteering at the local shelter near my school within the next couple months.
1) Due to my schedule I can no longer help out at the elementary school like I would like. However, I was wondering what type of volunteering can this count as

2) Is there anything else I should work on before I apply this summer?
1) I'd call the elementary school volunteering, Community Service/Volunteer-Not Medical/Clinical. Volunteering at the local shelter would be in the same category.

2) If a peer leadership opportunity comes along, take it. Average shadowing is 50 hours split among 2-3 docs. Try to include primary care.

So as of right now my cumulative GPA is around a 3.8 and my science GPA is about the same.
By the time I apply I should have around 115-125 clinical volunteer hours and I'm continuing to volunteer
I'm still working on finding doctors to shadow and I'm going to try asking around at the hospital I volunteer at
I'm still doing individual tutoring and I may be back helping out at the elementary school now that I have more time
I'm starting on my senior thesis soon
Leisure time activities include: stamp collecting, reading, and doing Zumba classes
I have a couple of honors, does scholarship count as an honor here?

How am I looking for this application season?
As I stated I am an URM
And I take my MCAT July 6th

So as of right now my cumulative GPA is around a 3.8 and my science GPA is about the same.
By the time I apply I should have around 115-125 clinical volunteer hours and I'm continuing to volunteer
I'm still working on finding doctors to shadow and I'm going to try asking around at the hospital I volunteer at
I'm still doing individual tutoring and I may be back helping out at the elementary school now that I have more time
I'm starting on my senior thesis soon
Leisure time activities include: stamp collecting, reading, and doing Zumba classes
I have a couple of honors, does scholarship count as an honor here?

How am I looking for this application season?
As I stated I am an URM
And I take my MCAT July 6th
It depends on the scholarship. A National Merit Scholarship is based on HS achievement, so I wouldn't mention it, as an example.

Work on that shadowing, otherwise, you're making good progress.