Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calibaby1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so 3.31 gpa, over 3.2 science gpa, 19 mcat, research, shadowed podiatrist multiple times, job and volunteer at hospital, great lors

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The lower MCAT is a bit of an issue. If you can, retake it and try to bump it up. Because of the way the scoring is set up, scoring a 19 is pretty low in terms of percentages. The sGPA is fine, but what school did you attend? Is it well known? While extracurriculars are nice, it doesn't seem that it plays as big a role in acceptance when compared to DO or allo schools. Right now, if you apply early in the next cycle, you have a fighting chance to be accepted, but simply bumping your MCAT up 3-4 points can pretty much guarantee you acceptance.

I went to oakland university and its becoming well known, I majored in health sciences, so u think if I can get it to like a 21 or 22 ill be good? I'm planning on applying right away around august 1

I went to oakland university and its becoming well known, I majored in health sciences, so u think if I can get it to like a 21 or 22 ill be good? I'm planning on applying right away around august 1

I was told in an interview that your bio score on the MCAT is a good indicator of ability to succeed at the graduate level (ample effort included of course). I'm not saying it's ok to flunk the other sections of the test, but supposedly a 10 or higher is a good score in biology. If you feel comfortable with increasing your MCAT then I would say go for it.

But what if I don't improve or I only go up to a 20? U think if I apply right away in the cycle that I'd have a chance? I'm really interested in ohio.

Ok so 3.31 gpa, over 3.2 science gpa, 19 mcat, research, shadowed podiatrist multiple times, job and volunteer at hospital, great lors

That MCAT score is definitely on the low side. I was told by one of the administrators here at Scholl that the MCAT score they are looking for has increased. Not quite sure exactly what that is but I would try to shoot for a 25 to be safe. Your GPAs sound fine. Put it this way, my class overall GPA avg was 3.2, science GPA was 3.0, and average MCAT was 25. Hope that helps.

Expected is more the word.

Put it this way...GPA and MCAT are numbers, and reflect the school and are used to compare matriculating students of different schools. If you have stellar ECs, they still probably won't want to bring someone in that will drag down their numbers. Same with LORs. Nobody gets a letter of recommendation that's bad, so you can pretty much just toss them out as far as having any impact (unless it's a board member or the president or something...)

Being a bit below average is reasonable, and there are obviously always some students who are, but the most important thing is to demonstrate an ability to perform academically, not a willingness and motivation to join clubs.

Everyone pads the application, and ECs are pretty intangible. If you and an identical student have a difference in 100 hours community service, maybe it'll be a factor, but even then I'd count more on a solid interview offsetting bad grades/MCAT far more than ECs will.

Why don't you focus on studying and bringing up the MCAT? Far better preparation for pod school than volunteering, anyway.

If u don't mind me asking what was ur mcat score and gpa?

MCAT - 31
cGPA - 3.54
sGPA - 3.2x (don't remember science exactly)

Anyone from ocpm that just got accepted that I can talk to?

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to be doing everything possible to get anonymous people's opinions instead of just calling the school. They'll help you, just call them. They will answer your questions and tell you what you need to know, and you can be far more sure you're getting good information.

I've tried calling but every time I do they take forever to answer me and I figured getting a stduent's imput would be really good too.

dont want to sound pompous, but seriously... its not that hard to break a 20. maybe you studied last time but obviously not efficiently enough. Do practice tests, use exam crackers. If you cant do well on a standardized test now...what about in 2 and 4 years from now when they are going to mean twice as much to your future.

Hmmm... The only time I've ever had problems contacting OCPM was last year around June... The admissions committee and staff are incredibly busy trying to fill in this year's class, so maybe there is some truth to what calibaby is saying. Though, be insistent to the point of annoying. I've left Carla numerous messages before, and she's always made a point of returning my call no later than the next day. But, to the OP, I was accepted to this year's OCPM class 2016, so PM me if you have any questions. Or another creative way would be to find the acceptance thread, and PM every single person on SDN who has been accepted there. I believe shadesofgrey is a P1 as well. OCPM is not represented as well as some schools like DMU. I think cheering for the Browns slightly beats out shucking corn. :D

Hmmm... The only time I've ever had problems contacting OCPM was last year around June... The admissions committee and staff are incredibly busy trying to fill in this year's class, so maybe there is some truth to what calibaby is saying. Though, be insistent to the point of annoying. I've left Carla numerous messages before, and she's always made a point of returning my call no later than the next day. But, to the OP, I was accepted to this year's OCPM class 2016, so PM me if you have any questions. Or another creative way would be to find the acceptance thread, and PM every single person on SDN who has been accepted there. I believe shadesofgrey is a P1 as well. OCPM is not represented as well as some schools like DMU. I think cheering for the Browns slightly beats out shucking corn. /QUOTE]

oh snap, this just got real:eek:

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

I'd rather shuck corn then watch any sports team from cleveland play. You know your city's sports teams suck when its most famous athlete is Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn from the movie Major League.

Cleveland....Cleveland........isn't that that place where that guy made a Decision? Or am I thinking about the home of a fat funny fella' named Drew?

he is not fat anymore he has lost a considerable amount of weight!

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

He sure has... just watch a rerun of 2010 and one of 2012....at least a double chin difference

Anyone from ocpm that just got accepted that I can talk to?

I got accepted to OCPM and pretty later in the game too. I had a 20 on my MCAT.
You can PM me if you have any questions or reply. :)

Hey hisuida and super fiesty, what were ur stats and what did ur ec's consist of??

You seem to be doing everything possible to get anonymous people's opinions instead of just calling the school. They'll help you, just call them. They will answer your questions and tell you what you need to know, and you can be far more sure you're getting good information.

I was starting to think the same thing. The one time I called Ohio they answered right away.. so I don't see how the OP is gonna come on here saying they take forever to answer. Starting to think troll.. not to bash, but why would someone from California's first choice be Ohio (honestly not to bash Ohio).

First off I've been called a troll before and I'm not, I'm just on here for advice and second I'm not even from california so not sure what ur talking abt bud

Haha... I kid about the corn shucking! GPA around 2.78. 1 year postbac all upper division science 4.0. MCAT 30. I volunteer regularly, do SI, and tutoring on the side.

First off I've been called a troll before and I'm not,

People think you're a troll because you ask questions that have extremely easy answers to acquire, and then when people actually do answer them, you don't even acknowledge their post and ask the same question again.....

That's why.