Change career at 25, her illness really pushes me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJ1400

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am here to get honest advice from you;

I am 25 years old and currently work in tax field. I am a CPA (Certified public accountant). I've always thinking of becoming a doctor and ironically, my science grade are much better than my accounting grade in college, although I did not take many science courses. My parents are both investment bankers and they pushed my pretty hard to major in business, which I really don't like.

Recently the doctor told my wife that she had hepatitis B and she needed to take an expensive medicine called Viread for the rest of her life. It is a disaster for our family (thanks god I am not infected). For the past several weeks I cannot stop thinking to switch to medical school. Long story short, below is my background:

I graduate in a top state university major in accounting and economics, I have a GPA of 3.75; then I went to another state university to get my master of accounting degree (for the CPA), I got a 3.6 GPA there; I did not have too many science courses and I am think of taking the Harvard extension school for pre med. Is it hard to get in? Without thinking about financials, do you think it is a possible for me to move to medical?

Thank you for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but it makes absolutely zero sense how you correlate your wife's diagnosis with hepatitis B with your epiphany to become a doctor. That is about as logical as your wife getting hit by a dump truck and you suddenly realizing your life's passion was to work in a gravel quarry.

Reactions: 5 users
That is about as logical as your wife getting hit by a dump truck and you suddenly realizing your life's passion was to work in a gravel quarry.

Take this advice seriously. These days, box-checking is serious and brutal business. Make sure you're good on the game...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but it makes absolutely zero sense how you correlate your wife's diagnosis with hepatitis B with your epiphany to become a doctor. That is about as logical as your wife getting hit by a dump truck and you suddenly realizing your life's passion was to work in a gravel quarry.
This advice, though crass, has a colonel of truth. OP I suggest you try and realize that AdCom members tend to be on the cynical side.

I have to agree. Medicine is a tough cookie to swallow even when you've had a long-standing passion.

I realize that it must be very hard to feel powerless to help a loved one like your wife, but becoming a doctor doesn't need to be the only way you can help her.

This advice, though crass, has a colonel of truth. OP I suggest you try and realize that AdCom members tend to be on the cynical side.
Are you sure it's colonel mustard in the library with the candlestick??

Or maybe it's a "kernel of truth"... Haha sorry couldn't help myself!

Reactions: 2 users
A major syntax error...

.... Generally speaking.

Reactions: 3 users
I have to agree. Medicine is a tough cookie to swallow even when you've had a long-standing passion.

I realize that it must be very hard to feel powerless to help a loved one like your wife, but becoming a doctor doesn't need to be the only way you can help her.

I would describe it more like trying to drink hot sauce after a tonsillectomy.

To answer your question, yes it is possible but it'll take a lot of planning, work, and family support. Read and talk with people to all the information you can.

Sorry to hear about your wife. On a positive note, it looks like there are some promising treatment for chronic HepB on the horizon.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't think that is a good example. A better example is the OPs wife getting hit by a dump trunk and the OP becoming an advocate for victims of reckless drivers.

Seeing inadequacies in medicine and trying your best to make a difference for people in the future is a HUGE reason why people go to medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think that is a good example. A better example is the OPs wife getting hit by a dump trunk and the OP becoming an advocate for victims of reckless drivers.

Seeing inadequacies in medicine and trying your best to make a difference for people in the future is a HUGE reason why people go to medicine.
We already had a cheap and effective way to deal with hepatitis B- the hepatitis B vaccine- so it isn't really medicine that has failed the OP's wife, but rather that she is a victim of poor circumstances. There's nothing an individual physician could really do in this case (PhDs do the research, pharmaceutical companies control the prices, the government sets the barriers for medications to come to market, etc). It doesn't seem like the medical system itself has inadequately served OP, not that any physician could have done anything along the way to have made a difference.

Hi All,

I am here to get honest advice from you;

I am 25 years old and currently work in tax field. I am a CPA (Certified public accountant). I've always thinking of becoming a doctor and ironically, my science grade are much better than my accounting grade in college, although I did not take many science courses. My parents are both investment bankers and they pushed my pretty hard to major in business, which I really don't like.

Recently the doctor told my wife that she had hepatitis B and she needed to take an expensive medicine called Viread for the rest of her life. It is a disaster for our family (thanks god I am not infected). For the past several weeks I cannot stop thinking to switch to medical school. Long story short, below is my background:

I graduate in a top state university major in accounting and economics, I have a GPA of 3.75; then I went to another state university to get my master of accounting degree (for the CPA), I got a 3.6 GPA there; I did not have too many science courses and I am think of taking the Harvard extension school for pre med. Is it hard to get in? Without thinking about financials, do you think it is a possible for me to move to medical?

Thank you for reading
Your grades are fine. You'll need to make sure you have ask if the appropriate humanities courses for the new MCAT, and to take all of the posted you have not yet obtained. Medical school is incredibly difficult to get into- make sure you get at least 100 hours minimum of volunteering and 50 hours of shadowing in before you apply, and stay involved in either work or some ECs while you're taking your prereqs. Finally, develop a strong relationship with your professors so they can write you letters of recommendation for school.

We already had a cheap and effective way to deal with hepatitis B- the hepatitis B vaccine- so it isn't really medicine that has failed the OP's wife, but rather that she is a victim of poor circumstances. There's nothing an individual physician could really do in this case (PhDs do the research, pharmaceutical companies control the prices, the government sets the barriers for medications to come to market, etc). It doesn't seem like the medical system itself has inadequately served OP, not that any physician could have done anything along the way to have made a difference.

You're missing the point. The point isn't whether or not the OP's feelings toward the current medical structure is justified...it's that he is using it as fuel to make the world a better place.

Reactions: 1 user
You're missing the point. The point isn't whether or not the OP's feelings toward the current medical structure is justified...it's that he is using it as fuel to make the world a better place.
We're just asking the same sorts of questions OP will have to think through when they're writing their PS or on the interview trail. Best they think about their motivations now than flounder with these sorts of things on the spot in an interview.

I think a better question than your value to society OP, is your value to your family. Does this move (stresss/time/money) make sense for your family. You seem intellectually capable, you just need to decide if it's "situationally "wise.

Are you sure it's colonel mustard in the library with the candlestick??

Or maybe it's a "kernel of truth"... Haha sorry couldn't help myself!
Haha I have no idea where that came from...