change my major and take an extra year? YES OR NO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0bumblebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE
i am a new member and i am in my fourth year.
I am a biological science major and have already applied and interviewed at the school i want to go to (for the 2012 cycle). But due to some family problems i had to drop the classes i was enrolled in, so i will not be graduating in april 2012. It will probably take me another 2 semesters to finish my degree so i will probably be applying again for the 2013 cycle.

I have been thinking of changing my major to Psychology instead of Biology. I think this will also help increase my gpa from a 3.1. I am done taking all my prerequisite classes.
Do you guys think it matters that my major is PSYC instead in BIO?
My OAT scores were also average so i dont think i will be getting in this year.

I applied and interviewed early but ended up putting myself on hold since i wanted to retake the OAT (in early feb) but i have not had anytime to study for it because of somethings going on with my family right now. i had a 290 AA and 300 TS.
I was still hoping on getting in this cycle but now i figured that since i wont be getting my degree this year anyways it might me better to apply for the next cycle.

Changing the major will take me another year but i dont think i had a good chance of getting in this cycle anyways.

What do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Changing your major isn't always necessary. If you change your major to PSYC, do you have enough require classes to graduate in time. Also, how many hours are you short of from completing BIO degree? If either case that you won't graduate until 2013, then it really doesn't matter much if you change your major. Just make sure to talk to your advisers from both departments to see how many classes you are short of.

Since you've already paid for the OAT, you might as well take it unless you are sure you'll apply again and want to defer it to a later date (it'll cost extra $25) to have the date change. I would try to study, but having family issues are hard to deal with (sorry to hear about it). You've been offered an interview, and that means you'll have a shot at getting in, so I wouldn't doubt myself if I were you. Most of the time, if a school offer you an interview, chances are your stats are ok and they want to see how you are in person.

Lastly, not all schools require a bachelor's degree. Have you try looking to apply at those school? It is late in the cycle, but there's always another option besides pushing it back another year. Good luck!

I interviewed at pco and I know they don't require a degree but I don't think I have a shot at getting in since my gpa is soo low (3.1). I've always heard that if you don't have a degree you have to have around a 3.7

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if you're major matters?
for example, would a biology student have preference over a psychology student.

I don't think major matters, they'll just look at what your GPA is for the required science classes<-optomcas calculates that. I was an international affairs major.

HI EVERYONE
i am a new member and i am in my fourth year.
I am a biological science major and have already applied and interviewed at the school i want to go to (for the 2012 cycle). But due to some family problems i had to drop the classes i was enrolled in, so i will not be graduating in april 2012. It will probably take me another 2 semesters to finish my degree so i will probably be applying again for the 2013 cycle.

I have been thinking of changing my major to Psychology instead of Biology. I think this will also help increase my gpa from a 3.1. I am done taking all my prerequisite classes.
Do you guys think it matters that my major is PSYC instead in BIO?
My OAT scores were also average so i dont think i will be getting in this year.

I applied and interviewed early but ended up putting myself on hold since i wanted to retake the OAT (in early feb) but i have not had anytime to study for it because of somethings going on with my family right now. i had a 290 AA and 300 TS.
I was still hoping on getting in this cycle but now i figured that since i wont be getting my degree this year anyways it might me better to apply for the next cycle.

Changing the major will take me another year but i dont think i had a good chance of getting in this cycle anyways.

What do you guys think.

You can't edit your application after you submit, so not sure how you'd go about changing your major for this cycle...I would just retake the OAT and apply next cycle- goodluck!