Change of heart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TOLonghorn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from UT-Austin in 2008 with a Biology degree. I got A's in general Chem, Biology, Physics, Calculus, and a few upper division Biology courses. I have several B's in other upper division Bio courses. A couple of C's in microbio and immunology type courses. In Organic Chem, I got a B in I, B in the lab, and a C in II.

Ended up with all undergrad GPA of 3.72, 3.66 @ UT. Not sure what my Science/Bio GPA is, but it's just below 3.5 thinking back. I never took Biochem or Human Physiology. At the time, I was really uninterested in the material, and was forced by family to pursue this path. I crammed my classes into 3 years to graduate early.

So just recently, I've had a change of heart and really think this is a calling for me (having to do with members of my family having health problems). I basically feel that I have the talent to ace the mandatory courses needed for med school if I retook them with some effort, but not sure if that's possible? Should I do a post-bacc program? Would the years since I graduated be a problem for admissions? Otherwise, I would think of just taking Biochem - and hoping that schools will overlook my poor record in critical courses (OChem is my main concern).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your grades are fine and you're obviously an intelligent guy/girl.

I think you stand a reasonable chance at a fair amount of MD schools with a 30+ MCAT score.

If you go the DO route grade replacement can easily erase the orgo grade.

Either way with a decent MCAT and strong EC's, I think you're in pretty good shape.

If I retook OChem and did well, is that something that I could attach along with my story for MD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I retook OChem and did well, is that something that I could attach along with my story for MD programs?
Not sure what you mean by "attach along with my story for MD programs", but all classes you take at any college or university will be reported to medical schools when you apply. So if you re-take, both MD and DO schools will see your old grades and your new grades. The difference between the two is, DO schools will replace your old grade with your new grad for GPA purposes, while MD schools simply average all scores you take in. This means you can significantly boost your DO GPA compared to your MD GPA by re-taking classes. To answer what I think your question is, yes, re-taking the orgo chems for A's will help your MD application, it will just help your DO application more since your old, poorer grades won't factor into your DO GPA.

Start shadowing some docs and also get some volunteering/clinical experience. Then study your butt off and get a 30+ on the MCAT and I think you're golden :) Best of luck!

100% agree. I think you'll be fine for most of the TX schools with a strong MCAT. Some research experience will help with UT SW and UTH

Start shadowing some docs and also get some volunteering/clinical experience. Then study your butt off and get a 30+ on the MCAT and I think you're golden :) Best of luck!

Thanks for the well wishes and positivity everyone. I'm hoping to go to school in LA or NYC. I'm now out-of-state for Texas schools. I am interested in emergency med in LA or NYC also, though that could change (family closest to these cities and most friends are there).

Last edited: