Change of plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

So my original plan was to follow the new mcat revised Sn2ed schedule for this summer, and then take the mcat on september 10th. However, I keep getting behind. Things are taking longer than I expected. I often get stuck on material and spend more time than necessary on content. Right now, I'm at about day 30 of the schedule, so I still have 70 days to go. I have this gut feeling every day that I study that I'm wasting my time.
I'm also working a small part time job, and I'm going to be auditing a biochem course in about a week, because my previous biochem course never covered metabolism.
So what do you think I should do? My plan was to take the mcat, then load up on credits in this last year of undergrad to boost my science gpa as much as possible, which is around a 3.5. For that reason, I'm taking 18 credits in the fall, and I doubt I will have time to study for the mcat at that point.
In the spring, I was planning to load up again on credits, but I don't know how it's going to work now if I don't take my mcat in september. My plan was to apply next summer, so I'd have to take the mcat sometime this year.

Of course I could also just push my application back another year....I've had this thought in the back of my mind that I would do the nih irta program, which is 2 years. I'm just not sure if my previous PI who I worked for would have the funds to take me.

Another issue: has anyone ever studied full time for the mcat, but then stopped and instead took it a while later (a few months to a year)? Will all this studying I'm doing this summer be a waste? What kind of study schedule should I expect for myself whenever I get time again for the MCAT if I am able to finish content review this summer?

From what I've seen, what I'm suggesting is not a good idea. Most people take the mcat directly after studying. So I guess that would mean I would have to completely repeat everything I've done next time I study

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if my advice will be helpful, because I am new at this also. But, I am kind of in a similar situation as my content review is taking longer than I wanted it to. But, I decided to actually take my MCAT's in Jan and I already started to study for it beginning of the summer. I am a chemistry major so I haven't taken a lot of biology classes so the biology review is taking longer and I haven't taken biochemistry either. But, if I were you I would just take it in May or April if you are applying next summer. I know I am a slow learner so I need a longer time to study, but I retain the information longer. Another possibility is to start studying for the MCAT during the spring semester and study full time after the semester is over and take it in May or June. Good luck!

Not sure if my advice will be helpful, because I am new at this also. But, I am kind of in a similar situation as my content review is taking longer than I wanted it to. But, I decided to actually take my MCAT's in Jan and I already started to study for it beginning of the summer. I am a chemistry major so I haven't taken a lot of biology classes so the biology review is taking longer and I haven't taken biochemistry either. But, if I were you I would just take it in May or April if you are applying next summer. I know I am a slow learner so I need a longer time to study, but I retain the information longer. Another possibility is to start studying for the MCAT during the spring semester and study full time after the semester is over and take it in May or June. Good luck!

Thanks! Good luck to you too. I've taken the majority of the pre reqs (however, I took an accelerated winter psych course at a local community college, so I feel kind underprepared for the social sciences, and like I said, my biochem class was only the first semester and did not cover metabolism, so that's why I'm auditing that this summer). Also, I've noticed a lot of the physics stuff was not adequately covered in my classes....so it's taking me a long time too.

Is there a way I can move this thread to the pre allopathic forum? I just wanted to get some more input, and I know there are rules against reposts.