Change specialties due to low level 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spikebd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your post includes zero information. if you are applying to ENT and uro, it is different that EM and anesthesia (which some consider competitive). If you got a 700 on step 1 and then a 625 on step 2, it is a different conversation than a 550 to a 410. can you give us anything at all to work with?

Reactions: 3 users
OP, if you want a good advice, provide us with sufficient data. Your post can't be any vaguer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn man. What happened on CK. Which speciality you are applying to is definitely important for this situation.

Did you already release your board scores to ERAS, or did you wait until now? You can release them, and then you'd have to re-release after new scores come back. Did you not release them yet? I think you'll be OK either way. Not as good as before perhaps, but not dead in the water.

You're still going to have to apply to a backup specialty, but realistically you should have been planning to do that anyway as a DO going for Ortho. I know way too many people with good scores that applied for Ortho or Ophtho only to scramble IM because they didn't have a backup. Don't be in that situation.

Ortho surg. Just bad prep and foolishness on my part
That's tough. Beastly step 1. Although MD was a pretty long shot anyway. Maybe the Comlex level 2 drop will not be a huge deal. Unfortunately there's probably not much data on your position. You will probably have to make a decision on anecdotes from other people and advice you trust. Good luck.

That's tough. Beastly step 1. Although MD was a pretty long shot anyway. Maybe the Comlex level 2 drop will not be a huge deal. Unfortunately there's probably not much data on your position. You will probably have to make a decision on anecdotes from other people and advice you trust. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'm working it out on how to proceed. Tough road ahead thats for sure. Humbling process.

you'll be fine. nobody gives a **** about step 2. you'll probably have to explain it during your interviews, but i doubt you'll lose too many invites (if any) with your scores.

you'll be fine. nobody gives a **** about step 2. you'll probably have to explain it during your interviews, but i doubt you'll lose too many invites (if any) with your scores.
this is horrible advice, especially for DO grads. If you look at the ACGME PD survey from 2014, you will clearly see that for both interviews and ranking Step 2 is very important. In some specialties, Step 2 is even more important than Step 1 when it comes to ranking applicants.

The truth is, when applying to residency, everything about your application matters. This includes Step 2, especially if you are going to take it early enough for the score to be included when you initially apply.

>600 to 550 and >245 to mid 230s. I really botched this thing and coasted. No idea what to do about applying

Ortho resident here, what programs are you scheduled to rotate thru? This is not really bad if you are doing well on your rotations. Unless you are rotating thru very board heavy programs.

People match with 550s every year.

Reactions: 1 user