Changing a personal statement as a re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corvid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's all about how you write it. The illness didn't need to be written in a way that it defined you, but write it so that it shaped who you are and how you view/want to help the world.

You're doing the right thing, however. Change your PS. Don't reapply to medical schools with the same PS from the previous cycle. Change it, make it stronger, add new things, and most importantly get others to read it and get their INSTANT reaction!! You want to leave a good impression that makes them want to know you more aka give you an interview invite.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that you should definitely rewrite it and include something from your app year is always a bonus to show that you have been working on improving yourself as an applicant.

I'm never a big fan of having a personal illness/family illness as a major part of the PS, but it's just my preference. If you have some strong experiences in college that are somehow connected to that illness, it's definitely easier to weave in there. Definitely try a few drafts without and see if you have enough substance from your college experiences to make a compelling narrative as to why you want to be a doc. You can PM it to me and I will review it if you want.

I agree that you should definitely rewrite it and include something from your app year is always a bonus to show that you have been working on improving yourself as an applicant.

I'm never a big fan of having a personal illness/family illness as a major part of the PS, but it's just my preference. If you have some strong experiences in college that are somehow connected to that illness, it's definitely easier to weave in there. Definitely try a few drafts without and see if you have enough substance from your college experiences to make a compelling narrative as to why you want to be a doc. You can PM it to me and I will review it if you want.

I think I've drafted up something I think will be more strong and compelling. I'd be happy to PM you it, another set of eyes to look at it is always helpful!

Last edited: