Changing C-II script for an inpatient about to be discharged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a nurse asked me if I could save the physician from rewriting a C-II script a patient would receive when discharged (missing instructions and quantity)... since the MD was long gone.

In retail we're able to change a C-II script's strength, quantity, and directions. If you're a hospital pharmacist on the patient floors and happen to come across a patient soon to be discharged with scripts in their chart, and some are C-II's lacking all the necessary info.... do you still have the right to change the strength, quantity or directions after talking to the physician by phone?

Kind of a dumb situation since the script would never get filled by a cautious retail pharmacist with all my extra scribbling on it.

Members don't see this ad.

So a nurse asked me if I could save the physician from rewriting a C-II script a patient would receive when discharged (missing instructions and quantity)... since the MD was long gone.

In retail we're able to change a C-II script's strength, quantity, and directions. If you're a hospital pharmacist on the patient floors and happen to come across a patient soon to be discharged with scripts in their chart, and some are C-II's lacking all the necessary info.... do you still have the right to change the strength, quantity or directions after talking to the physician by phone?

Kind of a dumb situation since the script would never get filled by a cautious retail pharmacist with all my extra scribbling on it.
I don't think the laws are different, especially since it's ultimately going to be filled in the community anyway. However, I'm sure the rph that is handed the rx is not going to be satisfied with the extra scribbling, and will end up calling the prescriber to verify anyway. So options are: 1) You call, pt is discharged, their rph calls again when they see the corrected mess 2) Pt is discharged with rx that needs to be corrected, rph calls (hopefully) to correct the info 3) Get a proper rx for the patient

...I just re-read and saw that it's missing a quantity. You can edit a quantity, but not add one if it's absent. So options 1 and 2 don't work out. They need a new rx.