Changing career, preparing to attend medical school... pondering...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preston Burke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just registered to tell the community about my future long-time project and hopefully receive some good feedback from this forum.

To keep the story short: I'm 34, from Europe, having a career in IT/Physics. I got my PhD and now looking for a job in this field, but my dream is to become a surgeon. You might think this is a sudden career change and that it might be a bit late (I know it's not !), but I've always liked to fix things, help people and I don't know why exactly, but I have always felt I'd make a great surgeon.
However, I would have to pay some serious fees for attending medical school, there's no MCAT in Eastern Europe where I'd like to go to medical school. But there's a very difficult admission exam and I would also have to pay the fees during the 5-6 years that such a school entails.

So I'm facing quite a problem: how to get the money that's needed for the schooling fees ? Learning is not a problem for me, I can prepare very well in 1-2 years by myself for the admission exam, but I would like to put aside enough money to be enough for the tuition fees for at least 3-4 years. I would like to achieve this within 2 years max. Do you think it's possible ? If so, is there anyone who had a similar difficulty and managed to actually do this ? I would highly appreciate any good insight into good possible options at this point for me.

BTW, I'm not married, I don't have kids, so I don't have serious responsibilities toward others. This is a big plus for me, I think. Re-starting my life would be great, because I don't have any passion left in me for the current scientific career in computers/physics. I don't want to pursue this anymore, it seems such a dead end.
Anyway, I'm here if you have additional questions... maybe I've been somewhat blunt in my message and not too organized... I've just written how it came to me. Please notice that I'm not from an English-speaking country. So pardon me if I made some mistakes.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have just registered to tell the community about my future long-time project and hopefully receive some good feedback from this forum.

To keep the story short: I'm 34, from Europe, having a career in IT/Physics. I got my PhD and now looking for a job in this field, but my dream is to become a surgeon. You might think this is a sudden career change and that it might be a bit late (I know it's not !), but I've always liked to fix things, help people and I don't know why exactly, but I have always felt I'd make a great surgeon.
However, I would have to pay some serious fees for attending medical school, there's no MCAT in Eastern Europe where I'd like to go to medical school. But there's a very difficult admission exam and I would also have to pay the fees during the 5-6 years that such a school entails.

So I'm facing quite a problem: how to get the money that's needed for the schooling fees ? Learning is not a problem for me, I can prepare very well in 1-2 years by myself for the admission exam, but I would like to put aside enough money to be enough for the tuition fees for at least 3-4 years. I would like to achieve this within 2 years max. Do you think it's possible ? If so, is there anyone who had a similar difficulty and managed to actually do this ? I would highly appreciate any good insight into good possible options at this point for me.

BTW, I'm not married, I don't have kids, so I don't have serious responsibilities toward others. This is a big plus for me, I think. Re-starting my life would be great, because I don't have any passion left in me for the current scientific career in computers/physics. I don't want to pursue this anymore, it seems such a dead end.
Anyway, I'm here if you have additional questions... maybe I've been somewhat blunt in my message and not too organized... I've just written how it came to me. Please notice that I'm not from an English-speaking country. So pardon me if I made some mistakes.

Thanks !
There is a sub-forum for international schools.
You are likely to get more responses to your queries there!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/europe.91/