Changing institutions and author affiliations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started my postdoc on August 1. Shortly after that, I had two manuscripts that were under review accepted. I talked to my postdoc program director, and they said that I was free to add the postdoc university as a second affiliation to them, so I did. I'm generally planning to give everything that was under review when I started postdoc both my graduate university and my postdoc university as affiliations, because that seems fair.

I've submitted a few manuscripts since I've been here that were based off data that I collected at my graduate university. Do those get both affiliations? Graduate university only? Postdoc university only? I kind of feel like my graduate university should get some "credit" for them, since I did the work while there, but I'm not sure of the standard practices here.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're supposed to publish it under the affiliation where "most of the work was done." Though obviously that's vague. Then you use the "F. Appsy2 is now at SDN University."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're supposed to publish it under the affiliation where "most of the work was done." Though obviously that's vague. Then you use the "F. Appsy2 is now at SDN University."
Seriously. Like is writing "more" work than data collection?

FWIW, I know one person who had a manuscript on the second round of revision when they changed institutions. The manuscript underwent one more round of (fairly minor) revisions before acceptance. They only used their new affiliation, not even making a reference to their old one in the author's note.

Seriously. Like is writing "more" work than data collection?

FWIW, I know one person who had a manuscript on the second round of revision when they changed institutions. The manuscript underwent one more round of (fairly minor) revisions before acceptance. They only used their new affiliation, not even making a reference to their old one in the author's note.
I don't think people follow the "rule" much anyway. I plain forgot how you're "supposed to do it" for one pub.

Reactions: 1 user