Changing internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aldolase

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working for CVS for an year as an intern and not really happy about it. I was paid as a tech for most of the time, trying to get approved as an intern that they promised. The store has good people but it's really busy, short staffed and not my favorite place to work. Plus I don't want to work at CVS when I graduate. There are openings for a grocery chain that I would like to work for. What would be the best way to approach my current employer and more importantly the future employer as to why I quit ? Would it look bad changing companies ? Need to apply quick.

Members don't see this ad.

First off you don't tell you current employer you're leaving until you have the other job lined up.

Unless you signed a contract with CVS for tuition reimbursement in return for x years of service, you owe them nothing more than your two weeks notice and a cordial thank you for the experience.

For the new job you're applying to, explain how your past experiences did not fulfill your growth as a professional/future pharmacist, and make sure you can highlight how this new company will meet those needs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When it asked in the application if they could contact my previous employer, I said no. Reason for it was that I haven't told my current employer about it yet. But I made a huge mistake by putting on the app that I voluntary quit. Makes me look like I am hiding stuff. Ahh

I quit CVS. I feel like a wimp though. I just couldn't handle working 3 days a week with school and still felt like a noob. Maybe my personality wasn't the right fit for the job. Oh well, will be looking for other opportunities. Hopefully my IPPE rotations will open some doors this summer.

I thought I would add my experience in case it might benefit other students.I found myself in a similar situation, although this was 6 years ago now. I was working for a chain retail pharmacy. I'd actually worked there (and for the most part, enjoyed it) for several years as a pre-pharmacy student. Recent staffing changes in combination with a lack of patient care offered at the pharmacy lead me to look for new employment. For example, there was rarely, if ever, any patient counseling done at that time. As I was moving into my P1 year, I wanted to become more comfortable with patient counseling in addition to working in a better environment in general. I interviewed for a job at a grocery store pharmacy, and I disclosed during the interview that I was currently employed at a chain retail store but was seeking a new job for the reasons listed above. After accepting the job, I gave two weeks' notice to both my pharmacy manager and the front-end store manager and I worked all of my scheduled shifts until starting at the new job. I ended up working there for many more years. In regards to the "can we contact your current employer?" question my director says that he won't hold it against anyone if they mark "no" because it's understandable that they may not want their current employer to know they are searching for new jobs. If they mark "no," he always asks why during the interview, and almost always it is for that reason.Good luck!