Changing jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samcohna1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here able to give advice to an attending looking to switch jobs after being at the same private practice for 3 years? Worked here right out of residency and currently making approximately $190,000 in a small town in Wisconsin. I know that in my desired location (~1hr from the city) the starting salaries for new FM docs is $160,000. Since I'd be new to what ever practice hired me, would my salary go down to $160,000?

Would it be a better idea to pay off loans first, and then move?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone here able to give advice to an attending looking to switch jobs after being at the same private practice for 3 years? Worked here right out of residency and currently making approximately $190,000 in a small town in Wisconsin. I know that in my desired location (~1hr from the city) the starting salaries for new FM docs is $160,000. Since I'd be new to what ever practice hired me, would my salary go down to $160,000?

You can always negotiate for more money

Members don't see this ad :)

The $160K is for people who are starting fresh out of residency. As someone with 3 years experience, you should certainly expect to be offered more money. If not, that's probably a good sign that you should be wary; definitely negotiate for more money.

Agree. Most people would expect to pay more for a seasoned doc than a new grad.

The $160K is for people who are starting fresh out of residency. As someone with 3 years experience, you should certainly expect to be offered more money. If not, that's probably a good sign that you should be wary; definitely negotiate for more money.

Well I know new grads near Milwaukee are making about 160k, although I don't know what their entire contracts look like. If I currently work 4.5 days, seeing 20-25pts, what would be a good salary to ask for? I'm kind of geographically limited since I'd like to be near family.

Why don't you open up a practice by your family?

Well I know new grads near Milwaukee are making about 160k, although I don't know what their entire contracts look like. If I currently work 4.5 days, seeing 20-25pts, what would be a good salary to ask for? I'm kind of geographically limited since I'd like to be near family.

What kind of productivity do you have now? How many days a week are you working?

What kind of productivity do you have now? How many days a week are you working?

Hi smq. If I currently work 4.5 days seeing ~25 pts, with a base of 160k w/ bonus and productivity bringing it up to over 180k, what should I expect to negotiate for?

I may also be interested in doing something like 4.5 days + 1 day/wk urgent care.