Changing PS for reapp (poor interviews)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on submitting my AMCAS soon, and I just had a few questions in regards to the PS. Last year I interviewed at 7 schools and received 2 rejections and 5 waitlists. After talking to one of the medical schools that rejected me, I think it is pretty clear that the interview sank my application. I was told by the Dean that I wasn't very enthusiastic and it seemed like I didn't really want a spot at that particular school. As someone who is very serious, I guess I was too stubborn through the course of the application cycle to realize that my expressions can come off as uninterested (and even a tad arrogant, depending on how the interviewer perceives it).

Regardless, I've finally become content that I'm going to have to reapply. It has taken me a lot of energy to get to this point, because the entire process is so grueling and I felt like I just needed to take a breath from the last cycle before diving into this one. Since my application granted me 7 interviews out of the 13 applications I completed, I was wondering if I should make substantial changes to my PS? I revised a few paragraphs to emphasize certain motivations, but that's about all I've done. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I was considering submitting a few DO applications. Would that be a smart decision?

AA Male
31 (11,9,11)

Thanks all! :)

Med schools do look at previous apps to see if you were lazy to merely reuse the same PS.

You don't have to do a 100% re-write, but you should update.

You can always add what you have learned since the past cycle.

Because there are no guarantees in life, I do suggest adding a few DO schools.

For interview skills, if you have any acquaintances who'd be willing to mock interview you, use them. You can direct them tot he Interview feedback section of SDN for them to peruse what exactly gets asked at med schools.

if you know of anyone who works in HR (or use connections to meet such people), ask them for interview advice.

Also see my "Guide to Interviews" post.

Treat every interview like it's the only one you'll ever get.

I am planning on submitting my AMCAS soon, and I just had a few questions in regards to the PS. Last year I interviewed at 7 schools and received 2 rejections and 5 waitlists. After talking to one of the medical schools that rejected me, I think it is pretty clear that the interview sank my application. I was told by the Dean that I wasn't very enthusiastic and it seemed like I didn't really want a spot at that particular school. As someone who is very serious, I guess I was too stubborn through the course of the application cycle to realize that my expressions can come off as uninterested (and even a tad arrogant, depending on how the interviewer perceives it).

Regardless, I've finally become content that I'm going to have to reapply. It has taken me a lot of energy to get to this point, because the entire process is so grueling and I felt like I just needed to take a breath from the last cycle before diving into this one. Since my application granted me 7 interviews out of the 13 applications I completed, I was wondering if I should make substantial changes to my PS? I revised a few paragraphs to emphasize certain motivations, but that's about all I've done. Advice?

Reactions: 1 user