Changing Residency Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jagster92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be applying next cycle for 2016 matriculation and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to switch my residency status from PA to NY. One of my parents lives in PA and one in NY, so there wouldn't be an issue of having to buy property at the moment. Currently I'm a PA resident but there are only 2 schools at most in PA to which i will apply (Pitt and Penn). I'll be applying to quite a few NY schools (Albany, Albert Einstein, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Rochester, Cornell and likely SUNY downstate). I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble to change my residency status to NY because although Penn would be one of my dream schools, the likelihood of me getting in is pretty slim and from the MSAR it doesn't look like they have much of an in-state preference. The in-state tuition for some schools in NY, plus a greater chance for in state preference might be worth the effort. FWIW, I've had several jobs in NY so I would have some documentation to support my case already.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, applicants IS for PA were much more likely to be accepted IS (542/1667=32.5%) than IS applicants from NY (944/3231=29.2%).
One thing I didn't mention earlier. I'll have a PharmD as opposed to a bachelor's, and both Penn St and Jefferson don't consider the PharmD sufficient for applying. Although neither does NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I didn't mention earlier. I'll have a PharmD as opposed to a bachelor's, and both Penn St and Jefferson don't consider the PharmD sufficient for applying. Although neither does NYU.
Depending on your stats PA is still a better choice. You would have to do a deeper dive into the MSAR to be sure, though.

Depending on your stats PA is still a better choice.
Good point. I guess it helps to not have so many premeds pumped out of PA. If it makes a difference, 4.0s/3.98cGPA, taking the MCAT in a week if AAMCs are any indication it'll be ~37-38

Good point. I guess it helps to not have so many premeds pumped out of PA. If it makes a difference, 4.0s/3.98cGPA, taking the MCAT in a week if AAMCs are any indication it'll be ~37-38
If your predictions are correct, either choice will work.

So I'll be applying next cycle for 2016 matriculation and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to switch my residency status from PA to NY. One of my parents lives in PA and one in NY, so there wouldn't be an issue of having to buy property at the moment. Currently I'm a PA resident but there are only 2 schools at most in PA to which i will apply (Pitt and Penn). I'll be applying to quite a few NY schools (Albany, Albert Einstein, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Rochester, Cornell and likely SUNY downstate). I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble to change my residency status to NY because although Penn would be one of my dream schools, the likelihood of me getting in is pretty slim and from the MSAR it doesn't look like they have much of an in-state preference. The in-state tuition for some schools in NY, plus a greater chance for in state preference might be worth the effort. FWIW, I've had several jobs in NY so I would have some documentation to support my case already.
The schools you listed, except SUNY, are all private (even Penn), so technically, it wouldn't make any difference if you're a PA resident or a NY resident.

Reactions: 1 user
The schools you listed, except SUNY, are all private (even Penn), so technically, it wouldn't make any difference if you're a PA resident or a NY resident.
Are you referring moreso to cost, or chances on matriculation as well? My purpose is moreso toward giving myself a better shot at getting into some of the upper tier schools in NY (mainly near the NYC region). For example, MSAR tells me 40/1190 IS applicants matriculate at Weill vs. 57/4740 OOS applicants. Whereas in PA there just aren't as many upper tier schools.

Are you referring moreso to cost, or chances on matriculation as well? My purpose is moreso toward giving myself a better shot at getting into some of the upper tier schools in NY (mainly near the NYC region). For example, MSAR tells me 40/1190 IS applicants matriculate at Weill vs. 57/4740 OOS applicants. Whereas in PA there just aren't as many upper tier schools.
Matriculation has a lot to do with applicant preference. In my state, schools that appear to have an IS bias are just enjoying the preference of CA applicants to stay IS. I'm sure the same is true for many NY applicants.

Matriculation has a lot to do with applicant preference. In my state, schools that appear to have an IS bias are just enjoying the preference of CA applicants to stay IS. I'm sure the same is true for many NY applicants.
That makes sense. Thanks @gyngyn