Changing Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last cycle as a MA resident. I went to school in NY state, and I was wondering if/how I can change my residency for this cycle from MA to NY. Does anyone know how to do this or have any experience with it? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last cycle as a MA resident. I went to school in NY state, and I was wondering if/how I can change my residency for this cycle from MA to NY. Does anyone know how to do this or have any experience with it? Thanks for any help!

If you are talking about changing your residency in AMCAS, you just change the entry.

When you do this, however, make sure you actually meet residency requirements. They'll let you apply with whatever residency you put down, but when it comes time to enroll and they try and verify your residency, any public school will figure it out and you're going to be in a pickle.

generally you have to be in the state for a reason other than being a student. check residency requirements for NY

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are talking about changing your residency in AMCAS, you just change the entry.

When you do this, however, make sure you actually meet residency requirements. They'll let you apply with whatever residency you put down, but when it comes time to enroll and they try and verify your residency, any public school will figure it out and you're going to be in a pickle.

Oh yeah I know it's easy on AMCAS, but I would want to do this right, of course.

generally you have to be in the state for a reason other than being a student. check residency requirements for NY

I have an apartment for a full year, even though it is for college. Would these residency requirements be different for each school or is it an official state government sort of thing?

Oh yeah I know it's easy on AMCAS, but I would want to do this right, of course.

I have an apartment for a full year, even though it is for college. Would these residency requirements be different for each school or is it an official state government sort of thing?

It's an official state government sort of thing.

Reactions: 1 user