Changing residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POWP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am currently applying to medical schools with X residency THIS CYCLE...what are the chances that I could call schools in Y residency

tell them that I am moving to that state NOW from September 09 to beginning of matriculation to ask them if I can be considered a resident for admission for this cycle?

I was thinking South Carolina, Illinois, Utah,Michigan.... any chances of this working?

I know that most places need you to live there for an entire year before getting "residency"...but just wondering if some schools/states are more lenient.

Members don't see this ad.

If I am currently applying to medical schools with X residency THIS CYCLE...what are the chances that I could call schools in Y residency

tell them that I am moving to that state NOW from September 09 to beginning of matriculation to ask them if I can be considered a resident for admission for this cycle?

I was thinking South Carolina, Illinois, Utah,Michigan.... any chances of this working?

I know that most places need you to live there for an entire year before getting "residency"...but just wondering if some schools/states are more lenient.

That's...actually false. Most places want to know if you'll reside/be considered a resident in the state for the year immediately prior to mattriculation. Getting that residency can take anywhere from a day to 30, depending on the state and assuming you have supporting documentation.

Also, you can't just call schools and tell them you're a resident. There's usually a bunch of paperwork to fill out, and committees to go through. For people who are life-long residents of a state, proving their status can often delay their app a bit. You want to get the ball rolling on establishing residency just now?

If you want to do the whole changing residency thing the right way, pick a state, get a job there, and wait until next year to apply In-state

No I want to apply for THIS YEAR and ESTABLISH a new residency starting now, its not an option to postpone applying the following year....so you think depending on the school it might work then?

Members don't see this ad :)
how are you going to establish residency in another state? do you already have a house/apartment there?

no i want to move there and get a job now, hoping that said school will consider me atleast for admissions as in-state....i just checked amcas and I can change my address on my primary, so I don't know how much that helps.

No I want to apply for THIS YEAR and ESTABLISH a new residency

Obviously...

so you think depending on the school it might work then?

Again, no. Here's why:

A) We're already half-way through app season.

B) It'd take you weeks to months to get the paperwork in order to support your application for residency, not to mention the time it'd take for the residency committee at your schools to process it and make their decision

C) You really think you're going to waltz into a state that's got a 12-15% unemployment rate (MI) and just 'get a job' to boost your chances for what will probably end up being a Nov/Dec app? Get real dude.

If it were march or April, I'd say go for it. But it's not. Apply now, and if you don't get in by sometime next spring, then start working on pulling this off..

my state only has two med schools so if I don't get in this year I think I will try to move to illinois or ohio. They have a lot more schools

:thumbup:

Low applicant pool, 5 MD state schools.

Wright & NEOUCOM are almost all in-state
Cinci & Toledo has a good preference for in-state
OSU - small preference of in state

AND OUCOM, let me tell you about OUCOM! That school makes all non-Ohio residents sign a 5 year contract to stay and practice in Ohio after graduation. Five years! So, almost no one applies there outside of Ohio! :laugh: And OUCOM is pretty awesome!

Residency isn't a school thing, its requirements are established by the state. Schools can't be 'lenient' because they do not decide if you are in state or out of state.

I don't think IL is that in state friendly, I would suggest Ohio or Texas.

If you think you have problems, there's only 1 MD school here. UofA. My family would disown me if I went there, even if it is for MD (they're all ASU freaks plus my mom works there). Plus I own this house... which I'll never be able to sell for what I owe (thank you crappy economy). Hoorah! I can't move until I have been accepted and know without a doubt where I will be going to med school. Then, I can watch the debt pile up. :)

Chill pill: Take 2 and call me in the morning.