Changing state residency for instate undergrad tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennisqueen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Texas resident and I know we somewhat have a huge advantage to getting into a medical school, but I am attending an out of state university for undergrad and found a program that will help me get in state tuition. So my question is, is it worth it to forfeit my texas residency to become a resident in another state to get cheaper tuition for my undergrad? Or should I stay a texas resident for medical school purposes?

Long time lurker, please don't destroy my confidence in the first question I ask.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, well slightly different.
I went to high school in NY, and I go to college in NY. However, during my sophomore year of college, my parents decided to move to Wisconsin, leaving me in NY to attend college. I still had my NY residency because I never left NY, so in theory, I can apply to NY med schools as an in-state resident.
However, my parents wanted me to get drivers license, so I had to list myself as a wisconsin resident at the DMV in order to get my license while I was at home.
I'm not sure if i forfeited my NY residency just because I applied for a wisconsin license. I never really lived in Wisconsin other than visiting for a few weeks during breaks...
I wonder if I'm still considered a in state applicant for NY schools?

I'm in the same boat, well slightly different.
I went to high school in NY, and I go to college in NY. However, during my sophomore year of college, my parents decided to move to Wisconsin, leaving me in NY to attend college. I still had my NY residency because I never left NY, so in theory, I can apply to NY med schools as an in-state resident.
However, my parents wanted me to get drivers license, so I had to list myself as a wisconsin resident at the DMV in order to get my license while I was at home.
I'm not sure if i forfeited my NY residency just because I applied for a wisconsin license. I never really lived in Wisconsin other than visiting for a few weeks during breaks...
I wonder if I'm still considered a in state applicant for NY schools?

I'd look into that, and maybe ask your school. I'd be nervous about asking them in case they DO take residency away, but it could be a hypothetical question... "My parents moved to Wisconsin after living here all my live and they were thinking about having me get my drivers license... would this affect my residency?"
PS... yay New York :thumbup:

From my understanding, if you are still under your parents and have a drivers license in Wisconsin then you are a resident of Wisconsin. But I could be wrong, I'm really confused about all this too.

I'd look into that, and maybe ask your school. I'd be nervous about asking them in case they DO take residency away, but it could be a hypothetical question... "My parents moved to Wisconsin after living here all my live and they were thinking about having me get my drivers license... would this affect my residency?"
PS... yay New York :thumbup:

:highfive:
I'm going to call SUNY Upstate next week and ask about it. I think if I were considered a NY resident, it would make my acceptance much easier especially since my dad completed his residency in SUNY Upstate.
haha, good idea with the hypothetical, suppose if...
Thanks~

From my understanding, if you are still under your parents and have a drivers license in Wisconsin then you are a resident of Wisconsin. But I could be wrong, I'm really confused about all this too.

yeah i hate the in state preferences, Wisconsin only has 2 medical schools, which is going to make my choices a lot more limited than NY...

:highfive:
I'm going to call SUNY Upstate next week and ask about it. I think if I were considered a NY resident, it would make my acceptance much easier especially since my dad completed his residency in SUNY Upstate.
haha, good idea with the hypothetical, suppose if...
Thanks~

I love SUNY Upstate. I go for all of my doctors appointments and had a few surgeries through there. Also did a little bit of shadowing there. Very enjoyable experiences, great hospital in my opinion. Awesome staff. I hope they are lenient for you. Definitely ask, it doesn't hurt.