Changing your last name after you get your DVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htryon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is more for the ladies, but I recently got engaged and am trying to decide if we should get married before I finish school (I am a second year) or wait til after I graduate. I plan on taking his last name but I have heard that it is harder to change your last name once you have a doctorate, so I am wondering if this is true, or if anyone has had any experience with this. I'm thinking about putting the wedding off because it too hard to plan a wedding half way across the country (I'm out of state) and I know that it won't end up being the wedding I truly want since I'll be planning via phone and email instead of actually being there. But if it really is harder to change your name then I might just do a small wedding. So if anyone has experience with this please let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I changed my name when I was about 2.5 years out of school, because I got married. There were a few extra hoops to jump through as a doctor (had to do paperwork with the state licensing board, DEA, etc), but it really wasn't that big of a deal deal. The clinic changed my name on the door, my business cards, and my coats... the clients and staff got used to it.... and overall, it really wasn't a problem. If it'll be easier for you to hold off on the wedding, I'd just hold off.

So this is more for the ladies, but I recently got engaged and am trying to decide if we should get married before I finish school (I am a second year) or wait til after I graduate. I plan on taking his last name but I have heard that it is harder to change your last name once you have a doctorate, so I am wondering if this is true, or if anyone has had any experience with this. I'm thinking about putting the wedding off because it too hard to plan a wedding half way across the country (I'm out of state) and I know that it won't end up being the wedding I truly want since I'll be planning via phone and email instead of actually being there. But if it really is harder to change your name then I might just do a small wedding. So if anyone has experience with this please let me know, thanks!

Getting a diploma reprinted later with your new name is gonna be a pain. So, either being okay that it has your maiden name or having it made with the new name would be best. Not sure what the rules are about having it put in your married name before it's your legal name...

Could always marry on paper when it's needed but still have the big official ceremony at a later date.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you mean you want your married name on your degree? Or just on your license so you can work as Dr. Married-Name instead of Dr. Maiden-name?

One of the doctors in my hospital got married after roughly 20 years of working there. It was hard, but it is important to her and her family and that makes it worth it. In the grand scheme of things, it'll just be a blip l, do what will make you happy

Also, I bet the hassle of planning a cross country wedding during school would be about as obnoxious as changing your name as a doctor

Do you mean you want your married name on your degree? Or just on your license so you can work as Dr. Married-Name instead of Dr. Maiden-name?

Sorry, I've been busy and actually forgot I posted this until the other day, but thanks everyone for the input. I'm not so worried about having my married name on my degree. I guess I'm more worried about trying to switch my last name after I got my license. I feel like that would be tough since that's the name you practice under.