Chanses getting accepted in medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freak17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a junior enrolled at Nova Southeastern University,originally I'm a transfer my student from a community college where I took my basic classes. I'm majoring in Biology. I honestly have no idea whether my grades/profile looks good so far. I need some feedback please.

GPA: It used to be 3.96 at the community college, however for some reason I didn't do well in my first semester at the university. My GPA right now for this semester (ONLY) is 3.55.

MCATS: I haven't taken my MCATS yet, I'm planning to take my MCAT in mysenior year and apply then with an additional year gap to get more volunteer hours. (+Time for work to pay loans). So, I'm 'planning' to get a high (>30)MCAT score.

Volunteer: I'm currently volunteering at the hospital (4 hours a week),although this is my first volunteer service. I've volunteered for a couple fund raising organizations in my first couple years of college.

Shadow: I have connections with a doctor I know and I'm planning on shadowing him next summer. I'm also planning on shadowing another doctor lateron.
Research: I'm doing a research that relates to sports medicine next Fall.

I honestly have no idea whether my status are good enough. I feel like I'm behind for some reason. I'm planning to do a research, a couple shadowing experiences, perhaps more volunteer on my gap year, raise my GPA and do my bestto prepare for the MCATS. Anything else I should keep in mind?

PS: I am an honor student.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps my chances would improve if I knew how to spell 'chanCes'. Sorry about the typo in the title, it's 3:36 am where I live!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats your cumulative gpa right now? but so far your stats look pretty good, though im not entirely sure how big of a factor cc gpa is for medical schools.

Yeah you won't win any awards for that CC GPA (but it's a nice starting point). Make sure there isn't a huge drop-off with your university work; keep in mind your competition will have, on average, about a 3.6 cumulative GPA. I think you're looking good so far.

By any chance was the community college you attended called Broward College?