Chapman University School of Pharmacy gets Candidate Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChapmanPharmacy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accreditation Process for the Doctor of Pharmacy Program*

"Chapman University School of Pharmacy’s Doctor of Pharmacy program has been granted Candidate status by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, 135 South LaSalle Street, Suite 4100, Chicago, IL 60603, 312/644-3575; FAX 312/664-4652, web site www.acpe-accredit.org.”

The Doctor of Pharmacy program of the Chapman University School of Pharmacy was awarded Candidate accreditation status during the June 23-26, 2016, meeting of the ACPE Board of Directors based upon an on-site evaluation conducted April 5-7, 2016, and discussion with University and School officials.

With Candidate status, the program continues to develop as planned. Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges of those graduates from a fully accredited program. Full accreditation status of the Doctor of Pharmacy program would be considered by the Board following the graduation of students from the program in spring 2018.

To learn more go to http://chapman.edu/pharmacy/accreditation.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice ad, dude. Why should we care, other than the eventual flooding of the market with more than necessary PharmD graduates?

Reactions: 7 users
Big deal. What pharmacy school doesn't get accredited? It doesn't change the fact that you have been lying to these pre pharmacy students by telling them this profession will need an additional 100,000 pharmacists.

Click here: APhA president- we need an additional 100,000 pharmacists!
http://www-forums.studentdoctor.net...d-an-additional-100,000-pharmacists!.1202378/

Remember kids...this guy is not a real pharmacist. He doesn't work in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
doctor-shrug_s-195x129.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Why this Dean has keep lying about the reality of job market. Even some of the more established school, the Deans, the professors, and some affiliated pharmacists / preceptors, have admitted that job market is getting tougher, and will be full of uncertainty in the near future. They even say that at this time, you need to be an entrepreneur to be success, to think outside of box, to create your own niche, just to survive...I don't see that as a time of demand for more pharmacist. This Dean is a joke, but what can we blame him, he is just doing what he needs to do for his own good. A business is a business, he is there to make a profit after all.

Reactions: 3 users
The first pharmacy school in orange county? Might as well open a pharmacy school in every county and see where that gets us.

Chapman University, 1 of 15 many pharmacy schools located in California! This would've sounded more accurate and appealing to students. But nice marketing strategy confining it to only orange county. Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
This sounds like a prestigious program. How can I get in?

Reactions: 5 users
This sounds like a prestigious program. How can I get in?

A pulse :laugh: but I'm sure we've seen enough of that phrase around this forum.

Preferred applicants have a composite pcat of 50% or higher and they admitted a 15 year old

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160717-211149.png
    Screenshot_20160717-211149.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: 4 users
Preferred applicants have a composite pcat of 50% or higher and they admitted a 15 year old
How can a 15 yo student be admitted? No requirement of bachelor's degree? Isn't there a law for age limit for someone to be a pharmacy intern?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.chapman.edu/students/tuition-and-aid/SBS/current-tuition.aspx

School of Pharmacy- cost per academic year

Doctor of Pharmacy $69,750

Posted on their official website, everything would come out to around $300,000+ in loans after four years. Save yourselves the trouble.

USC tuition:

$52,862

https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/cost/

So what is Chapman, a new school without accreditation yet, has to offer that it cost more than one of the most expensive private, established school such as USC?

It's near Yardhouse :thumbsup:

How can a 15 yo student be admitted? No requirement of bachelor's degree? Isn't there a law for age limit for someone to be a pharmacy intern?

My class had an 18 year old - he had gone to HS is another country, I don't know the details of how he did his prereqs.

How can a 15 year old have the prereqs? Wouldn't most 15 year olds be a freshman in highschool? How can they go to their rotations/internship if they can't even drive?

I had a friend get her BS at age 19, she was a genius, but it was weird because she was totally dating off limits for almost 3/4 of college (statutory rape kinda thing)

@ChapmanPharmacy Do you feel you have the responsibility to answer these concerns actual pharmacy graduates have about your school and the saturation you are contributing to?

edit - I see you did respond (although IMO with flawed logic) in another thread

Last edited:
This is such a huge accomplishment. Congrats. Now all those kids in orange county who had dreams of going to pharmacy school will have an opportunity to become a pharmacist and fill the pharmacy void in Orange County!

upload_2016-7-18_19-46-36.png

Ouch! Tuition and fees are about 70k per year and students haven't even covered their living expenses yet.
I see this is a 3 year program though so it probably comes out slightly cheaper than USC.

Big deal. What pharmacy school doesn't get accredited? It doesn't change the fact that you have been lying to these pre pharmacy students by telling them this profession will need an additional 100,000 pharmacists.

Click here: APhA president- we need an additional 100,000 pharmacists!
http://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/APhA-president--we-need-an-additional-100,000-pharmacists!.1202378/

Remember kids...this guy is not a real pharmacist. He doesn't work in the real world.

Oh, it happens. Remember Hawaii College of Pharmacy (not UH Hilo's, the private school), anyone? The drama of that school blowing up? I still think it's quite ridiculous how ACPE went along with that for so long. US DoE very nearly revoked ACPE's ability to accredit off that debacle.

As for the comments about the tightening job market, that also happened during the 1970s with predictable results. I expect Pharmacy to go the way of PT soon.

Congrats, one step closer to chains being able to finally offer perdiem jobs instead of part time to new grads...

Congrats, one step closer to chains being able to finally offer perdiem jobs instead of part time to new grads...

But they'd be per diem jobs in Orange County, right? Superior to other opportunities elsewhere, like our friend @ChapmanPharmacy had in Minnesota and Tennessee?

Any age limit would be state by state, in IL its only 16 (although the person must either have graduated from high school or be currently attending high school.)
Not all pharmacy schools require bachelors, and there are child genius's who graduate from high school at age 10 or 11 and have their bachelor's by 14 or 15 (admittedly this really isn't applicable in this case, as a child genius would be going on to bigger and better things than pharmacy school.)

How can a 15 year old have the prereqs? Wouldn't most 15 year olds be a freshman in highschool? How can they go to their rotations/internship if they can't even drive?

Haha, presumably they will be turning 16 during their 1st year of pharmacy school, and subsequently getting their driver's license at that point. Either that, or their parents will drive them.

Any age limit would be state by state, in IL its only 16 (although the person must either have graduated from high school or be currently attending high school.)
Not all pharmacy schools require bachelors, and there are child genius's who graduate from high school at age 10 or 11 and have their bachelor's by 14 or 15 (admittedly this really isn't applicable in this case, as a child genius would be going on to bigger and better things than pharmacy school.)

Haha, presumably they will be turning 16 during their 1st year of pharmacy school, and subsequently getting their driver's license at that point. Either that, or their parents will drive them.

Not to be picking on this teenager, but just amazing how a 15 year old would know that pharmacy is the right profession for him/her. I started to volunteer at a hospital at the age of 20-21 and then became a tech a year later. I wonder how this person even got any pharmacy experience.

Last edited:
I think I wanted to be a pimp at age 15, gold grill, cane, and all.

Not to be picking on this teenager, but just amazing how a 15 year old would know that pharmacy is the right profession for him/her. I started to volunteer at a hospital at the age of 20-21 and then became a tech a year later. I wonder how this person even got any pharmacy experience.

That's what I been thinking too. Just how mature can a 15yo can be, despite of how smart he might be academically? At that age, I wonder what kind of life experience this kid has. Like BidingMyTime said, a smart kid like that probably won't pick pharmacy...maybe medical school, or science would seem more logical choice. (I mean, how does he even know if he want to practice as a provider like physician, to take role in diagnosis, or just be a pharmacist to learn about medicines at that age. That would take some time, and life experience, for one to mature and know about oneself. But who knows...)

No 15 year old knows what is right for them, not even the brightest. I'm sure there is family involvement with the decision.

At least for the 15 year old...finishing and going back to do a PhD or MD is not out of the realm of possibility. He/she can be John Doe, PharmD, MD and complete a 6 yr surgical residency by age 30.

The PharmD is an undergrad degree for them.

(are surgical residencies 6 years or 7? I can't remember)

No 15 year old knows what is right for them, not even the brightest. I'm sure there is family involvement with the decision.
you ever seen real genius?
I could see the kid getting taken under the wings of some older students and getting him plowed and screwing with hi

15 year old kid going to pharmacy school - most likely a waste of ability. Not many people, much less teenagers, appreciate how short life is without making and learning from their mistakes, which in this case will be going to pharmacy school

http://www.chapman.edu/students/tuition-and-aid/SBS/current-tuition.aspx

School of Pharmacy- cost per academic year

Doctor of Pharmacy $69,750

Posted on their official website, everything would come out to around $300,000+ in loans after four years. Save yourselves the trouble.

Actually we are a three year program, so the $69,750 is only for the first two years, since there are three trimesters a year the first two years. There are only 2 trimesters the last year, so that year is only $46,500. So tuition is only about $190k. That still expensive, but it is in line with the 4 year schools that have a tuition of around $47,000 per year.

They gotta make that money quick before Bernie takes the iron throne and makes college free.

Actually we are a three year program, ( 8 straight trimesters), so the $69,750 tuition is only for the first two years, since there are three trimesters a year the first two years. There are only 2 trimesters the last year, so that year is only $46,500. So tuition is only about $190k. That still expensive, but it is in line with the 4 year schools that have a tuition of around $47,000 per year.

Actually we are a three year program, so the $69,750 is only for the first two years, since there are three trimesters a year the first two years. There are only 2 trimesters the last year, so that year is only $46,500. So tuition is only about $190k. That still expensive, but it is in line with the 4 year schools that have a tuition of around $47,000 per year.
$47k per year is still a total rip off. State pharmacy schools all the way.

Tell me why anybody should attend this non-accredited program when they can shave roughly $20k off their annual tuition and get an education from a school with a better reputation by attending their local state school.

Why would a 15-y.o. genius choose this program that's not even fully accredited?? Oh wait, I think I answered my own question, lolz.

$47k per year is still a total rip off. State pharmacy schools all the way.

Tell me why anybody should attend this non-accredited program when they can shave roughly $20k off their annual tuition and get an education from a school with a better reputation by attending their local state school.

You don't understand! I am desperate to get in, I have wanted to be a pharmacist so freakin badly for like.....20 minutes! I only have a 2.1 GPA and a 25 PCAT, but it has been my goal my whole life to get into pharmacy school. Thankfully there are places like Chapman University to help me fulfill my dreams!

Actually we are a three year program, ( 8 straight trimesters), so the $69,750 tuition is only for the first two years, since there are three trimesters a year the first two years. There are only 2 trimesters the last year, so that year is only $46,500. So tuition is only about $190k. That still expensive, but it is in line with the 4 year schools that have a tuition of around $47,000 per year.

Would you say that the majority of students attending Chapman University are state school rejects? Why would someone pay $70k/year vs. $20k/year for a pharmacy school? What type of "clinical skills" do you guys teach anyways? Can they perform open heart surgery after attending Chapman? If so, count me in Doc!

edit: also $47k vs $70k

I have a friend that went to Chapman for the simple fact that there are rich hot girls that go there. Mind you his mom paid the 40k a year tuition for him to get a communications degree. And he never even got laid once the 4 years he went lolololol.

View attachment 206481

Ouch! Tuition and fees are about 70k per year and students haven't even covered their living expenses yet.
I see this is a 3 year program though so it probably comes out slightly cheaper than USC.

This is literally more than twice the cost of LECOM for their 3 year education. Save yourself 150k and go to Erie then move back to Cali.

This is sad...I hope students are smarter and understand the truth about the overly-saturated job market and growingly terrible work conditions for pharmacists outside of hospital systems...

I have a friend that went to Chapman for the simple fact that there are rich hot girls that go there. Mind you his mom paid the 40k a year tuition for him to get a communications degree. And he never even got laid once the 4 years he went lolololol.
LOL...wonder how he answered the why do you want to go to this school question...

I'm sure it can be confusing as to how a 15 year old could get into the program. Like many other pharmacy schools, and like all pharmacy schools that have a pre-pharmacy program we do not require a BS degree. This 15 year old student did extremely well in our pre-pharmacy program, and she continues to do extremely well in our pharmacy program.

The student was 15 when they applied, but they are now 16.

I didn't think it was legal for a school to give academic information out? Or perhaps "extremely well" is not considered specific enough to violate FERPA (which I do not pretend to be an expert on at all)?

Let's just make pharmacy a program at the vocational high school. Study metal fab, carpentry, or pharmacy.