Chapter Structures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr_Feelgood

I just wonder how each chapter is structured. I realize that each has their own ways but if we are thinking about a national chapter it would be nice to see what people like and dislike. Also what does each position do and what is the official name of your chapter?

Student Chapter of ACFAS AKA SCACFAS-DMU

President (directs all VPs, works with adivsors and ACFAS to plan and coordinate all events) #
Faculty Advisors: (X2; Kevin Smith, DPM FACAFAS and Colin Pehde, DPM)
Advisory Council (Past Presidents and VP which provides guidance and experience) +
VP of Surgery (directs of surgical skills labs, surgical speakers, surgical community events) #
VP of Wound Care (directs wound care labs, speakers, wound care month, wound care community events such as info booths on DM foot care)#
VP of Research (directs national research submissions [i.e. ACAFAS symposium], speakers, CPMS research day and local poster competitions)#
Secretary (monthly reports for ACFAS and CPMS submissions, works directly under the VP of Wound Care) #
Treasurer (event budgets, food orders, fund raisers for community events and research submissions, works under the VP of research)#
National Rep (if we get the national club off the ground they will contact the various college reps for coordination of events, works under VP of surgery)^
Media Director (webmaster and director of communications such as emails and posters)@
First year Rep (X3) (rep for the 1st years, 1 rep under each VP) *

+: 3rd year students
#: 2nd year students
*: 1st year students
^: 2nd or 3rd year students
@: No requirement

Members don't see this ad.

That's a very impressive structure at DMU. Does it seem to accomplish a good distribution of labor within the club, or do you occasionally run into the "too many Chiefs and not enough Indians" problem?

Our structure at Barry is a bit more basic:
-Prez
-VP
-Historian
-Parliamentarian
-Secretary
-Treasurer

Since all of our current officers are 3rd year students, I think we'll try to add a member who functions as an official liaison to the 2nd year class (and one for 1st year class of 2011 when they arrive too).

That's a very impressive structure at DMU. Does it seem to accomplish a good distribution of labor within the club, or do you occasionally run into the "too many Chiefs and not enough Indians" problem?

Our structure at Barry is a bit more basic:
-Prez
-VP
-Historian
-Parliamentarian
-Secretary
-Treasurer

Since all of our current officers are 3rd year students, I think we'll try to add a member who functions as an official liaison to the 2nd year class (and one for 1st year class of 2011 when they arrive too).

I was wondering what a historian's job is.

The structure was just expanded this year so we will see how it goes. The previous years we have had a very similar structure (w/o the wound care club) and it has worked well. I cannot say it is directly related to the structure or to the people filling the positions.

I was wondering what a historian's job is...
Historian functions to photograph club events and distribute those photos for school publications, especially the annual Barry pod yearbook. Additionally, the historian can keep records of events (dates and times) and assist in planning and preparation of events.