Character letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DingDongD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it mean by a character letter? I am asking my research professor to write it. Is it any different from a normal rec letter?

Members don't see this ad.

All LOE's should ideally be character letters.
From UCSF's website:
"We ask applicants who pass the preliminary review to submit 3-5 letters of recommendation, including at least two letters from your instructors. We will accept only one set of letters, regardless of the number of programs for which you are applying. Please be aware that UCSF is participating in the AMCAS letter service, and as such applicants are required to submit their letters of recommendation via AMCAS.

The letters that will tell us the most about you, your contributions, and your potential are those from instructors of upper division courses who know you well. Letters that document evidence of contributions to research or other work related to science or health care are also of particular interest to the admissions committee. Character references and recommendations from family friends or associates generally are not useful."

What do you make of that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Character references and recommendations from family friends or associates generally are not useful.[B/]"

What do you make of that?
This is absolutely right. We have no use for your Mom's opinion of you! Nor is there value in the opinions of your friends and loved ones. They are inherently biased (as well they should be).

We need the objective opinion of experienced examiners.

This is absolutely right. We have no use for your Mom's opinion of you! Nor is there value in the opinions of your friends and loved ones. They are inherently biased (as well they should be).
I was referring to the "character references" part, not the family friend part.

I was referring to the "character references" part, not the family friend part.
Character is best evaluated by objective observers. Here they are clarifying that what is commonly referred to as a "character reference" is valueless.

Reactions: 1 user