Charging tuition to do a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't accredited pharmacy residencies have their residents salaries highly subsidized by govt like medical residents are? Pretty sure they are where I work

Members don't see this ad.

Don't accredited pharmacy residencies have their residents salaries highly subsidized by govt like medical residents are? Pretty sure they are where I work

You can pass through costs, yes.

Actually all of these programs regularly fill, and the number of orthodontists has gone up significantly in recent years.
Also, some people want to enter Ortho so bad that they will even pay to do an "Orthodontic Internship" :
http://dentistry.temple.edu/node/736
http://www.roseman.edu/admissions-aeodo-nv/aeodo-tuition-and-fees

Now THAT is crazy, paying $35,000 to get a certificate that "might" make one more competitive to get into a real orthodontic residency. Sounds about the same a wanna-be pharmacy technician paying $15,000 to get a certificate that "might" make them more competitive in the job market.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Now THAT is crazy, paying $35,000 to get a certificate that "might" make one more competitive to get into a real orthodontic residency. Sounds about the same a wanna-be pharmacy technician paying $15,000 to get a certificate that "might" make them more competitive in the job market.

Yup, it's nuts. To put it in perspective, I know *of* an orthodontist who finished in 1973 with ~12K of debt. That's about 65K in today's dollars. One year of the Roseman program costs 65K. WTF!!! So if you add three years of that to 500K of dental school loans, you are looking at with other associated costs a cool 900K of debt--and that's without any undergraduate debt.

WTF!!

and a residency director ??
I am not a residency director - a preceptor who contributes to the hiring process. Although I know several residency directors who do not have a residency (they have real world experience!)

I am not a residency director - a preceptor who contributes to the hiring process. Although I know several residency directors who do not have a residency (they have real world experience!)

Proof again that there is really no real need for residency in pharmacy ;) lol

Proof again that there is really no real need for residency in pharmacy ;) lol
ironically I have been asked to apply for a job where I would be a resident director :)

ironically I have been asked to apply for a job where I would be a resident director :)

LoL now the proof is getting even stronger !! Hope you accept it !! Me like mucho :thumbup::thumbup:

lol...you guys know residency is just a lower paid version of experience, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of curious for those who didn't do a residency but have hospital/clinical roles, how did you go about this? Networking? School internship? Or move your way to clinical roles after being in a staff role for so long. It feels like not having a residency is even making it hard to get a simple staff position these days

I'm kind of curious for those who didn't do a residency but have hospital/clinical roles, how did you go about this? Networking? School internship? Or move your way to clinical roles after being in a staff role for so long. It feels like not having a residency is even making it hard to get a simple staff position these days
ya - graduated in 2004 - but even then 30% of my class did a residency - but basically worked my butt off, show up early EVERY day, never missed a day of work in 10 years, volunteer to do projects, MUE's, serve on committees, give presentations, precept students pick up over time - and I did all of this with rarely putting in more than 1 hour a week of non-paid time. :)

ya - graduated in 2004 - but even then 30% of my class did a residency - but basically worked my butt off, show up early EVERY day, never missed a day of work in 10 years, volunteer to do projects, MUE's, serve on committees, give presentations, precept students pick up over time - and I did all of this with rarely putting in more than 1 hour a week of non-paid time. :)

You forgot the part about getting hired in the first place, homie!

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, it's not that hard to give an acceptable answer to what was their main question back then - how soon can you start? :p

Reactions: 4 users
You forgot the part about getting hired in the first place, homie!
I interned for four years in a local large hospital, then took a job as a pharmacist in the middle of nowhere to get experience before moving to my current job. You have to be willing to work in less than desirable places doing less than desirable hours. Not easy, but doable

Eh, it's not that hard to give an acceptable answer to what was their main question back then - how soon can you start? :p
I would not go that far, at least where i worked, I went to school in a small city that recently say one of the big chains pull out of town and leave 50 unemployed pharmacists. Most new grads wanted to stay around and at least for the year I graduated the year before I graduated, the only new grads that got jobs in my city were those that were already working and interning at the place they took their job, retail included

I interned for four years in a local large hospital, then took a job as a pharmacist in the middle of nowhere to get experience before moving to my current job. You have to be willing to work in less than desirable places doing less than desirable hours. Not easy, but doable

What? You mean they didn't throw suitcases of money at you in 2004?