Charles University, Prague

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know there have been many threads about Charles University in the past, but I find some of them to be fairly outdated and I know the climate for studying medicine has changed quite a bit over the last couple of years, so I was hoping I could get some fresh opinions.

I'm currently finishing my last year of University. I'm a Canadian studying here in Canada, and my degree is in Sociology and Political Science. My average is about 80% and my GPA 3.5/4. I know this isn't very competitive and also my background isn't in science.

Ever since I can remember I've wanted to be a doctor. I was going to apply to some European med schools after high school, but I didn't want to rush into things. I knew that jumping into something as intense as that at the age of 17 might be a bit much. I've since been working on my undergrad and worked for many national Human Rights Organizations with a primary focus on mental health programming.

Anyways, after taking time I've reaffirmed myself that medicine is what I want to do. I'd also love to do my studies abroad and live in Europe while studying. The current school I've got my sights set on is Charles University in Prague.

My ultimate goal is to get my medical degree and practice medicine. Unlike many other Canadians, I'm not 100% attached to practicing in Canada upon finishing my degree. What I am concerned about however, is not having to practice in Prague as the salaries and working conditions there are brutal. So, the first thing I was hoping to get advice on is the odds of at least being able to practice in the UK, Ireland, or other English speaking countries in the EU after completing my program? I'd also like to know about those odds of getting back into Canada, as I know spaces are limited? Would I be crazy to do my studies in Prague if I don't want to practice there (at least not forever...) when I'm done?

Further, any feedback you folks may have on Charles University would be greatly appreciated. What's the program like? Is it a respectable school (in your opinion)? What's the entrance exam like? Suggested study materials to prepare for it?

Thanks everyone. Sorry for hashing up an old topic, but just wanted some fresh advice from all your brilliance.

O

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an EU citizen you should be able to practice in the UK or Ireland after you graduate from Charles University. You will find there are a lot of british students at Charles planning on returning back to the UK after graduation. If you aren't however, you won't be able to practice in the UK or Ireland.

I think your best chance after Charles is in the US. Canada is still possible but for even the best students who have a strong resume it is still very difficult and your speciality choices are limited.

Thanks Medstart108 for the insight. Are you saying that it would be very challenging/ unlikely to practice in the EU if I'm not an EU citizen? Would it not be a relatively easy process to apply for a visa as a professional, i.e. a doctor?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. Doing research now, but in the meantime insights would be great.

O

It would be challenging indeed and unlikely in some countries (the UK, Ireland, Scandinavian block, Switzerland, Austria etc.)

However some countries are in a dire need of doctors (Germany, Central European countries like Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc) but you do need to be proficient in the local language and should be prepared to undertake medical training in the local language (only after fulfiling all the conditions of course.)

Regarding the visa process, again it depends from country to country. Some countries will count your stay throughout medical school as part of the residency requirement and allow you to apply for a permanent residency card after working for a few years. An example would be Czech Republic, where you can become a permanent resident after 5 years of stay BUT this requirement only applies to those who have a working visa. For students, each year stayed counts as half a year, so if you stay there for 6 years, it's equivalent to 3 1/2 years.

Other countries like Ireland and UK, let you apply for internship and FY1 years respectively if you've studied medicine in those countries, in which case it shouldn't be a problem to acquire further training in those countries.