Charles University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hammer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few basic questions. Is Neil or others around?

Members don't see this ad.

yep

whats up?

neilc said:
yep

whats up?

Hello I used to talk to you years ago, another nick.

Questions for my son.

1. How did you do the 6 years. Was that hard in of itself.
2. Where in Ca are the entrance tests.
3. Where would you live during the first term.
4. Any comments you feel important?

My son is at UCSB. His grades range from a's to c's. He is majoring in genetics.

I like your message about Charles. You maybe one of the most normal folks here. Much of First Faculaty web site does not work.

I looked at the CIA fact sheet. GDP per person in Czech rep. is now over 15K per year. This will "help" your degree, I think.

Best from Los Angeles. H. Rik_key

I will probably get 86th here. If so, please e-mail [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
1. the six years is long. i am partly through year 5 now, and i would be lying if i said it wasn't tough. but, summers are long and free if you work hard, and it is a good pace. if you focus and stay involved in school, it is a great program. if you get distracted and party too much, you get behind so fast it will make your head spin. be careful.
2. i am not sure where the exams are held now. that has recently changed.
3. during first term i would live in the school dorms, in order to meet people. soon after that i would get an apartment in the center of town with a good freind or two. i had a great place with a great roomate for the second and third year and it made a huge difference. during the clinical years, i spend more time in the states, so i go back to the dorms to save money and so i don't have to pay rent for the several months a year that i am in the states.
4. i think it is important to realize, that no matter where you go to school, it will be tough. do not expect any school to spoon feed you, or to be like the US schools. the only schools worth going to are the schools with universal approval in the states (ross, auc, st. georges, ireland, isreal, australia, charles, dote and sgzed in hungary, i believe are the ones to consider) there are too many good schools that will not limit you, it is foolish to go to one that does.

hope that helps

Thanks very much Neil I have been reading your posts.

My eldest son died of Prolonged Q-T. See www.sads.org.

Rick wants to get a Ph.D in genetics, I think due to the above. I have a PhD as did my father from Stanford.

I am in a bind. If I leave this up to him he will surf the days away. That's all he does now. If I force him, he might drop out. He has lived in Europe for a while so that would not be hard.

I wonder if the cost of apts has gone up. I think so.

Best to you. I sat on our largest hospitals : privilege committee. I passed everyone. Some came in with no transcripts--Russian. They were let on staff. So you will have no problem. It is the final "test" you will take and it is fun. The hospital wants to see what you can do.

B Hammer Ph.D