Charleston COP status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmclinn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been liking what I see so far about this program but the probationary status and the rumors I've seen on here make me VERY suspect that everything is not what it seems. What's the deal with this program? When will they be off probation? Is it serious?

Members don't see this ad.

why the hell would anyone want to attend a school on probation. isn't there enough pharmacy schools that will accept you. I'm sure anyone and their mom can get into pharmacy school LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is a definite risk going to a school on probationary status (look up Hawaii College of Pharmacy). I would not do it, if they don't get accreditation, then you will end up with nothing but massive college debt.

why the hell would anyone want to attend a school on probation. isn't there enough pharmacy schools that will accept you. I'm sure anyone and their mom can get into pharmacy school LOL
if this is the only school you can get in to - chances are you will be one of those that are having a hard time getting a job/residency. Don't do it, move on to somewhere else

I've been liking what I see so far about this program

Do+I+need+to+slap+you+in+the+face%3f.gif

Being a graduate from this awful place I can rightfully tell you to AVOID THIS SCHOOL!! The university itself is on rocky ground at the moment financially. They keep pulling tons of money from the pharmacy school to fund their other failing projects. The education they give you barely prepares you to be a retail pharmacist. BARELY! They lied to the entire student body when they were put on probation and said the visit went well. The students found out about the probation when the newspaper printed an article on the night of July 4th. The school had told everyone in a meeting that the visits from ACPE were "standard" for a new school and that nothing was going on. The ACPE bluntly told the students during their visit that their visit was not standard and that the school was in big trouble so they were there to figure out why. If you cannot get into any other school in the country by all means attend here. Heck they were calling back students who were originally rejected from the current P1 class to reverse their decision and accept them just so they can fill enough seats for the class of 2018. So I'm sure any living person who can take out a loan would gladly be accepted here.

Being a graduate from this awful place I can rightfully tell you to AVOID THIS SCHOOL!! The university itself is on rocky ground at the moment financially. They keep pulling tons of money from the pharmacy school to fund their other failing projects. The education they give you barely prepares you to be a retail pharmacist. BARELY! They lied to the entire student body when they were put on probation and said the visit went well. The students found out about the probation when the newspaper printed an article on the night of July 4th. The school had told everyone in a meeting that the visits from ACPE were "standard" for a new school and that nothing was going on. The ACPE bluntly told the students during their visit that their visit was not standard and that the school was in big trouble so they were there to figure out why. If you cannot get into any other school in the country by all means attend here. Heck they were calling back students who were originally rejected from the current P1 class to reverse their decision and accept them just so they can fill enough seats for the class of 2018. So I'm sure any living person who can take out a loan would gladly be accepted here.

that sux lol

I really wish I could've remembered my old password, but I just have to make a new account to address the damn hysteria...

First off, I'd like to state that I am a current student at this SOP. As for what mechanix is saying, I completely disagree. I have been on plenty of rotations with WVU students (no Marshall students yet), and not once did I feel inferior when it came to our knowledge bases. There were times that I had answers to questions from preceptors that my fellow peers didn't know, and times when the roles were reversed. The fact that you personally, BARELY know enough to be a retail pharmacist, falls on your own shoulders and speaks volumes to the type of dedication you put both into your own knowledge base, as well as the profession itself. Being a current P3, I feel prepared, yet slightly worried, as most do, about going out to the real world and practicing. Yet I see plenty of recent graduates who have great jobs, winning preceptor awards for multiple schools, and improving the field of pharmacy. It comes down to the student, and their dedication to their education.

Now onto the meat and potatoes of the issue... I was at the student meeting that met with the ACPE experts. We mentioned a variety of issues we had with the school, most relating to communication from the administration and the faculty turn-over rate. I was there when a fellow student asked if this was a routine visit and the individual responded with no. I had been in plenty of meetings where the Dean spoke, and if there's one thing I learned about PR, its that people will always try to spin things in a positive way. Do I think the school purposefully spun this a certain way to try and keep people calm? I really don't know.

I'm a pretty active student, who likes to know what's going on, so I did some research. I, like most folks, want a job when I get out of school. In fact, I might even want a residency, so I want to make sure I don't have things hurting my chances... My first worry had to do with my education. Was I getting the proper education? I felt like I was, but did the ACPE agree? Apparently they did, considering the reasons for probation included financial planning as well as a higher than usual faculty turn-over. From the sounds of things, the main university was removing too many resources from the pharmacy school than ACPE was wanting. As a student, I was pretty pissed to hear this. I don't like the idea of my tuition dollars helping other majors like liberal arts, but I think the school has learned from their mistakes.

The school went ahead and revised their budget, scooped up some new faculty members, and gave every student a new macbook air and ipad mini. They're bringing consultants from ACPE over to help fix things throughout the year. I guess the school doesn't want to lose out on its investment, I don't know. They're on probation for 2 years or something, so students are still able to take their NAPLEX exams and what not as any other student can from an accredited school. From my research, no school who has been put on probation has lost its accreditation. In fact, even top schools like UCSD have been on probation before...

In terms of student life on campus, nothing really drastic has changed. I guess the front office is working on their budget and incorporating new strategies to get faculty members to stick around. As far as academics though, nothing has really changed except for the new technology. We still learn the same stuff, from the same books, using the same guidelines.

Unless you're mechanix and you're out there probably killing people because you ****ed around during school...

#shotsfired

BTW, if anyone has any further questions, feel free to inbox me. I always shoot it straight.

Last edited:
The school is accepting anyone just to fill seats. They were even calling people back who were originally denied to offer them a seat. I'm sure newpharm45 meant that who ever picked up the phone hung up on them. Dean Easton would never answer a phone or reply to an email. That's below her pay grade lol. She can be nice when she wants to, but believe me she's a big reason why the school is in the position they are in now. Ed Welch hired her out of many more qualified individuals mainly because she would be easier to manipulate into letting the university siphon tons of money from the pharmacy program to finance other things around the University of Charleston campus.

ACPE just informed the school that the "with probation" tag is removed. They are back to accredited with no flag. So much for the school closing down, huh?

I'm glad to see that the school has full accreditation again!

It's an amazing school because the email they sent me listed all the great benefits of a Charleston SOP education. So I will believe everything the school officials say instead of the voices of pharmacists in the real world because that makes a lot of sense. #providerstatus #MTMbruh

Im glad they were able to work out their issues. I never applied though because that issue scared me even though they explained what happened. Im sure i wasnt the only one. But i got accepted to some great schools so im happy i took a pass haha

I've been liking what I see so far about this program but the probationary status and the rumors I've seen on here make me VERY suspect that everything is not what it seems. What's the deal with this program? When will they be off probation? Is it serious?

Not what it seems? I'm not sure what it seems like to you but compared to every other pharmacy school I interviewed at it seemed very underwhelming. Everyone I know seems to be accepted into Charleston as a back-up school - lol