Charting Outcomes 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is folks: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

From going through this document a couple of factoids popped out at me:

1. All specialties except Derm, Neurosurg, Ortho, ENT, Plastic Surg, and Rad Onc have enough positions to accommodate all U.S. Seniors who prefer that specialty. (pg 4)

2. Plastic surgery has the lowest match rate at 44%, however Ortho has the 2nd lowest match rate at 77%. (pg. 5)

3. The average Step 2 scores of ortho applicants is definitely higher than their corresponding Step 1 scores, meaning that most applicants shouldn't be afraid of taking it because they may do poorly. If you do well on these tests, then you will probably do well (pg. 10)

4. The average # of programs you should rank is definitely no longer 10. Its 11.5 now which to me really means 12.That is what applicants now should shoot for, and of course more is better. (pg. 162)

5. While the average step 1 score is now in the 240s, don't lose heart because there are still many the applicants that fall below that score and successfully match...they just tend to not post on Orthogate or SDN. (pg. 162).

6. Almost just as many people who scored in the 230s matched as those that scored in the 240s. In fact, 54 people that scored below a 230 matched! Don't let folks on SDN or Orthogate discourage you, but you should also be realistic because that is 54 people out of 974 applicants. (pg 166).

Members don't see this ad.

Here it is folks: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

From going through this document a couple of factoids popped out at me:

1. All specialties except Derm, Neurosurg, Ortho, ENT, Plastic Surg, and Rad Onc have enough positions to accommodate all U.S. Seniors who prefer that specialty. (pg 4)

2. Plastic surgery has the lowest match rate at 44%, however Ortho has the 2nd lowest match rate at 77%. (pg. 5)

3. The average Step 2 scores of ortho applicants is definitely higher than their corresponding Step 1 scores, meaning that most applicants shouldn't be afraid of taking it because they may do poorly. If you do well on these tests, then you will probably do well (pg. 10)

4. The average # of programs you should rank is definitely no longer 10. Its 11.5 now which to me really means 12.That is what applicants now should shoot for, and of course more is better. (pg. 162)

5. While the average step 1 score is now in the 240s, don't lose heart because there are still many the applicants that fall below that score and successfully match...they just tend to not post on Orthogate or SDN. (pg. 162).

6. Almost just as many people who scored in the 230s matched as those that scored in the 240s. In fact, 54 people that scored below a 230 matched! Don't let folks on SDN or Orthogate discourage you, but you should also be realistic because that is 54 people out of 974 applicants. (pg 166).

Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

Hopefully we can all make it.

Nice going DoctaJay. Good to see another SDNer has done Ortho. You know what information I think everyone would really like to know.

How does number of programs applied to impact matching chances? Obviously the biggest factor is contiguous ranks, but that obviously means how many interviews you go on and choose to rank.