Charting outcomes 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mog16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the last edition of this report (2011) it is quite interesting to see how much more competetive PMR has become. I think we could all feel it but looking at some of the information in the report confirms this.

Things that stuck out to me
Number of contiguous ranks for matched applicants increased from 10.9 ->12.7
Step 1 score average for matched applicants 214 --> 220 (though this may just be step score creep)
Step 2 score average for matched applicants 224 --> 234
AOA 3.9%--> 5.5% for matched applicants
PhD 1.1 --> 2.5% for matched applicants
other graduate degrees 7.5--> 15.6% for matched applicants

Beyond that just looking at the shapes of the graphs you see a much different picture compared to just 3 years ago.
I didn't take the time to compare other specialties to see if similar increases occured, though one would imagine that with more applicants for a similar number of spots there would be at least some increase in relative 'competetiveness' of applicants that match in all specialties but I think the jump in PMR may be larger than some other fields.

Anyway, I feel incredibly fortunate to have matched last year and I wish everyone who is applying this year the best of luck! The application process is brutal, expensive, and humbling but when you make it through and open your envelopes it is all worth it :)

Members don't see this ad.

I looked at a number of different specialties and my takeaway is this:
- Scores are increasing overall in every discipline.
- For all the talk of increasing competitiveness, we still have one of the lowest average Step 1 scores for matched applicants: we're only ahead of FM and tied with psych.
Someone else compiled the changes from 2011:
SPECIALTY / AVG STEP 1 SCORE 2014 / CHANGE FROM 2011
Plastic Surgery 245 (-4)
Radiology 241 (+1)
Rad Onc 241 (+1)
Derm 247 (+3)
Anesthesia 230 (+4)
FM 218 (+5)
Gen Surg 232 (+5)
IM 231 (+5)
Neurosurgery 244 (+5)
Neurology 230 (+5)
Ortho 245 (+5)
ENT 248 (+5)
Pathology 231 (+5)
Pediatrics 226 (+5)
OB/GYN 226 (+6)
PM&R 220 (+6)
Psych 220 (+6)
EM 230 (+7)

- It's actually quite easy to get into radiology!!! It's also not that hard to get into anesthesiology. We might need a new acronym for the ROAD specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know what the deal is with contiguous rankings? It just means the number of consecutive ranks you give to a particular specialty, before ranking other specialties, correct? It's not something that matters, is it? It's just an observation of how people are approaching applying to a given specialty?

I think of it as a rough proxy for how many interviews you got.
Most people don't rank more than one specialty. The number is programs they rank is roughly equivalent or at least proportional to the number of interviews they got.