Charting Outcomes in the Match 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting.

It seems like for every specialty there are a surplus of applicants. Do they count people who apply for more than 1 specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Derm had 3 with 260+ not match and 11 with 250+ not match. :eek:

This years version of this is AWESOME. They have done much more in the stats and on top of that they have calculated odds ratios for a significant number of the factors (for example for being AOA in competitive specialty your odds of matching increase by 2.9x. But the odds ratio for research publications is close to 1 (meaning not as important)). Very cool.

Awesome, thanks for posting.

This years version of this is AWESOME. They have done much more in the stats and on top of that they have calculated odds ratios for a significant number of the factors (for example for being AOA in competitive specialty your odds of matching increase by 2.9x. But the odds ratio for research publications is close to 1 (meaning not as important)). Very cool.

I think that may be due to the ambiguous nature by which they measure publications. They seem to count poster presentations and conference abstracts (which anyone with 2 hours and registrations fees can get) in the same pool as peer reviewed articles (which take a lot more effort). Their data would be more valuable if they had separated the two.

Perhaps...but the odds ratio for research experience is also near one. Of course, I think that reason for this is not that it is unimportant but that everyone does it so it has no longer become unique. Were as being AOA or some other thing makes it unique. I don't know just guessing.

Derm had 3 with 260+ not match and 11 with 250+ not match. :eek:

I think that these people are probably trying to stick with a given locale and apply to a couple of specialties so they can stay in a given area. For instance, maybe their rank list was:

1. Derm Mass General
2. Plastics Mass General
3. Derm Yale
4. Plastics Yale

And they matched at their #2 choice. So they didn't get derm although that's what they were "going for." Considering the 250+ range is WAY above average for Derm, I doubt they ranked all derm programs and didn't match to any of them.

Anyway, just a thought.

how come it doesn't say anything about ophthamology?

*sigh* whatever happened to doing what we love and working towards setting your hours in a way that is "more comfortable"?