Cheaper Undergrad vs Network

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is the better option?

• Cheaper undergrad- no debt, good pre-vet school- UT Martin

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • School with a vet school to network through- Mississippi State

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DrSelinaKyle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior looking for where to spend my next 4 years, and now I'm not sure where to go. At first I considered doing the Early Entry Program at Mississippi State and be fine with the student debt (because pre-acceptance to vet school is hard to get). After I got rejected, I now said I was going to go still MSU so I have a foundation and network at the school for getting into vet school, but going there is triple the cost of UT Martin which has a pretty good pre-vet program and many students got acceptances into vet schools like Mississippi State, UT Knoxville, and Mizzou.

Now here's the issue. Go for the networking at MSU and have tons of debt, or go to UT Martin with no debt an not have much actual networking with vet schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Going to a school for undergrad will have little bearing on whether you get into their vet school.

Go for less debt. You don't want to start vet school with tons of debt already. Choice is a no-brainer.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people don't network with vet schools. In my experience, there isn't a lot of "who-you-know" when it comes to getting into vet school. Lots of people get into vet schools where they don't know anyone. Go to the cheap school, get good grades, get good LORs from local vets and professors, and get experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people don't network with vet schools. In my experience, there isn't a lot of "who-you-know" when it comes to getting into vet school. Lots of people get into vet schools where they don't know anyone. Go to the cheap school, get good grades, get good LORs from local vets and professors, and get experience.

Definitely. Networking is much more important for jobs and specialties, not vet school itself.

Take it from someone going into vet school already ~$40k in the hole after 5 years of undergrad + living on campus... go to the cheaper school. Seriously. Vet school is atrociously expensive as-is; if you are at all able to minimize undergrad debt on top of that, you'll thank yourself down the line.

I went to an undergrad with a vet school (LSU). BUT I also chose this school specifically because it was the cheapest of my options (full scholarship). While there were certainly great things about going to undergrad somewhere with a vet campus, it definitely isn't enough to warrant prioritizing over cost (like Coquette said it's not really "networking" when it comes to admissions...I now know I'm not even going to end up at my own undergrad's vet school). Stick with the cheaper option!

You also have to think of some "What if?" scenarios. What if you don't get accepted to vet school on your first try? Then you'll be stuck paying that debt sooner. I went to a small undergrad where I graduated without debt, but I was wait listed the first year and wasn't pulled off that wait list. I didn't have to worry about paying that debt after school while working for $9.00 and hour at a vet clinic as an assistant.

Go with the cheaper undergrad. My undergrad with 2,000 kids enrolled in a 3 square mile town had three of us accepted this year, half of one last year (she transferred after her sophomore year), one the previous years each. Going to a small undergrad isn't a disadvantage.

I'm a high school senior looking for where to spend my next 4 years, and now I'm not sure where to go. At first I considered doing the Early Entry Program at Mississippi State and be fine with the student debt (because pre-acceptance to vet school is hard to get). After I got rejected, I now said I was going to go still MSU so I have a foundation and network at the school for getting into vet school, but going there is triple the cost of UT Martin which has a pretty good pre-vet program and many students got acceptances into vet schools like Mississippi State, UT Knoxville, and Mizzou.

Now here's the issue. Go for the networking at MSU and have tons of debt, or go to UT Martin with no debt an not have much actual networking with vet schools?
Also keep in mind that when you go to a school that has a veterinary school, you'll end up being one of several hundred students applying to ALL of the same lab openings, vet clinics, etc. I ended up having to drive 45 minutes one way to finally be able to get any experience during undergrad. Not always the case, but I didn't think of that at all when I was in your shoes. Also know that networking doesn't typically do much for you when it comes to being accepted other than get you letters of recommendation (which you can get elsewhere, too).

Mississippi State is a fabulous school (I'll be starting there in the fall most likely :) ) but OOS tuition is up there. Since you'll have to finish your prereqs for early entry, can you gain residency while you're at it? Their resident tuiton is quite low. BUT since you mentioned a UT, A&M is still probably the cheaper option for you. And it's also an equally fabulous school. I agree with everything said here. Save save save that money where you can. If you can minimize debt from undergrad, while getting that resident tuition at TAMU at the same time, you'll be in the best possible financial situation. And with that, you won't be stuck feeling as though you're commited to that early entry seat. Because there is the chance that you may decide to not become a vet!

ETA- just noticed you said you didn't get early entry. Definitely go with UT then!

ALSO ETA- you mean UT as in Tennessee don't you?UTK is also a fabulous vet school, there's lot of students/alum on these forums, and it's definitely going to be your cheapest option still :)

Last edited:
Cheap. I did 2 years at a tiny, no-name, "joke" of a community college for 2 years and transfered to a school only other NJ kids know. Got into 5 vet schools. Please, please don't listen to the nonsense that you need to go and spend a ton of money on undergrad. My old boss told me constantly how vet schools weren't going to like me because of my community college credits (I did all 4 semesters of Chem there, for instance), and none cared at all. Go as cheap as possible; worry about your experiences instead.

Why go to MSU to "network" when MSU wouldn't even be your in-state vet school (assuming UT Martin is cheaper because you're a TN resident)? If anything, go to UTK for undergrad to network with UTCVM...but I'd say definitely go to the cheaper option, UTM. I had my pre-reqs from several different colleges, one of them being community college. No one cares.

Speaking as someone who faced the same thing out of high school (2 different schools with vet schools vs full ride + able to live at home) I have no regrets about going to the cheaper school. School is what you make of it. The school I went to had no, and I really do mean no pre-veterinary support, but it gave me the opportunity to be a founder of a pre-veterinary club and help design a track for those looking at pre-veterinary as an option. There's opportunities everywhere, but it's really up to you to find them.

UT Martin has a very successful pre-vet program. In fact, I believe UTM is the second-most represented undergrad college in my class outside of UTK itself. You definitely will not be hurting your chances if you go there.

Speaking as someone who faced the same thing out of high school (2 different schools with vet schools vs full ride + able to live at home) I have no regrets about going to the cheaper school. School is what you make of it. The school I went to had no, and I really do mean no pre-veterinary support, but it gave me the opportunity to be a founder of a pre-veterinary club and help design a track for those looking at pre-veterinary as an option. There's opportunities everywhere, but it's really up to you to find them.

This!! So much of your professional/collegiate career is what you make it. If your undergrad lacks something, create it. I chose a no-name undergrad over a private institution that boasted a high medical profession acceptance rate. I made opportunities for myself in the small community around me and served on the board of directors of a non-profit, something not many can put on a resume at my age! And I don't have any debt.

Go for the cheaper option. I did not go to a college with a vet school attached and I had a great experience. Like others have said, your academic career is what you make of it.