Cheapest rabies vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happened to me too. At 2 of my GPs (yes I have two :rolleyes: ). It is too expensive and the whole vial isn't used and expires before they use it on anyone else. And one of my GPs I've known for years and played soccer with her daughter. Even she said no way. :shrug:

They should use a different version. The vaccine my provider obtained is a one-dose reconstituted vaccine. Has a longer shelf life, and no waste.

Members don't see this ad.

They should use a different version. The vaccine my provider obtained is a one-dose reconstituted vaccine. Has a longer shelf life, and no waste.

Agreed. When I finally got it at the travel clinic, that's what they used. I think the GPs were being lazy and didn't want to look into it further. :rolleyes: And yes, getting past the secretaries to even speak to someone about it was comical. "Rabies vaccines are for animals honey, they don't make them for humans." :smack:

Maybe it's worth making an annual appointment and speaking directly with the GP about it, in their office, while you're paying for their time.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the middle of my series (getting my last one tomorrow!) and I was specifically told that there was no shortage so it would be easy/quick for the vaccine to arrive. I told them about a week and a half before my first appointment and they said it arrived in around 5 days, so I definitely don't think there's a problem with shortages. They did want to make sure I was actually committed to getting it before ordering though. I don't think any place usually keeps it on hand, just since it's expensive and it generally isn't something you have people coming in to ask for every day so they don't want to be keeping a bunch and have it expire.

Your city/county health department (every county has one and most bigger cities have them, so there is definitely one near you) should definitely be able to administer them, so you should give them a call. I think GPs usually don't administer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the middle of my series (getting my last one tomorrow!) and I was specifically told that there was no shortage so it would be easy/quick for the vaccine to arrive. I told them about a week and a half before my first appointment and they said it arrived in around 5 days, so I definitely don't think there's a problem with shortages. They did want to make sure I was actually committed to getting it before ordering though. I don't think any place usually keeps it on hand, just since it's expensive and it generally isn't something you have people coming in to ask for every day so they don't want to be keeping a bunch and have it expire.

Your city/county health department (every county has one and most bigger cities have them, so there is definitely one near you) should definitely be able to administer them, so you should give them a call. I think GPs usually don't administer them.

Your average clinic may not, but some places do keep it on hand. I got mine at a clinic that has a travel doctor so they had the rabies on hand as well as a few other less common vaccines that I got.

Titer is cheap, and many many people don't require a booster for a very long time, if ever.

So I'd do that. Just as a general principle, why inject antigenic proteins into your body if you don't need to?

FWIW, I got my rabies series in ... late 2009, I think. My titer was just done last year and it's still fine.

Sounds reasonable enough, thanks LIS.

NYC certainly has a Dept of Health but the website is a f'ing labyrinth and I imagine calling them would result in about 30 minutes of being on hold and being transferred to multiple people who have no idea what I need. Ah, bureaucracy.

The CDC website indicates that there is a shortage of the vaccine (http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/resources/availability.html) but I'm glad to hear that you didn't have trouble getting it.

Titer is cheap, and many many people don't require a booster for a very long time, if ever.

So I'd do that. Just as a general principle, why inject antigenic proteins into your body if you don't need to?

FWIW, I got my rabies series in ... late 2009, I think. My titer was just done last year and it's still fine.

That, and at least a few places I know of flat out refuse to boosters without a titer... so it might not even be an option. I got vaccinated originally in early 2007, so by the time Fall 2012 rolled around, I figured I would prob need a booster anyway... so I wanted to see if I could save the $150 I needed for a titer. I did need a booster, but oh wells, c'est la vie.

Does anyone in the NYC area have suggestions for fair priced rabies vaccines? Also how bad are they in terms of feeling sick afterwards? I am always pretty sick after the flu shot so want to plan accordingly with work schedule

I was vaccinated post-exposure in November 2012 (a cat that was more than likely vestibular, but unvaccinated and the owner shot it in the head), if I end up going to vet school this fall would I need to get a titer done by my primary care physician or is it something the school clinic could do?

I've never had a flu shot, but when I did rabies vaccines they didn't make me sick. The second one made my arm very achey, like a tetanus shot usually does except worse. The other two were fine.

I'd call the school(s) to check on who they want to do the titers. My school doesn't care where it is done, but personally I wouldn't want to waste the money getting it done by my primary care physician to find out they had to have it done a certain way for it to count.

I was vaccinated post-exposure in November 2012 (a cat that was more than likely vestibular, but unvaccinated and the owner shot it in the head), if I end up going to vet school this fall would I need to get a titer done by my primary care physician or is it something the school clinic could do?

I had mine done by my primary care before school. Obviously check with them, but I imagine you can just have your PCP do the titre for you.

Does anyone in the NYC area have suggestions for fair priced rabies vaccines? Also how bad are they in terms of feeling sick afterwards? I am always pretty sick after the flu shot so want to plan accordingly with work schedule

I don't know about prices in NYC... but I just finished my rabies series this week and felt fine. The first one made my arm sore when I went to fall asleep on that side, but was fine the next morning. The second one gave me a dead arm for that day, just slightly sore and tingly and I felt a bit achy but it was gone by the next morning. And the last one, I felt nothing, not even a sore arm.

Everyone reacts differently to different vaccines. It would be difficult for you to know ahead of time.
I can take most flu shots fine. My first rabies vaccine made my arm pretty sore for a few days. After my second one I had a headache and achy flu-like symptoms that evening and part of the next day. Also, that arm continued to hurt for about 3 months when I would raise it(I don't know what that was about). The third one wasn't bad, maybe a little soreness for a day or two.

Also how bad are they in terms of feeling sick afterwards? I am always pretty sick after the flu shot so want to plan accordingly with work schedule

It will really depend. Some people in my class felt so bad after getting the vaccine that they had to go to the health clinic to get checked out... but most people were fine.

You should check with the school to see if they even require a titer. My school didn't generally require titers for incoming students who'd already been vaccinated, just proof of the vaccination. Then they require titers from everyone before going into clinics. You've been vaccinated recently enough that I'm not sure I'd worry about the titer unless it's required. Most people's titers don't drop too much that quickly. Unless you're me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone do Benadryl premed? (Hey it works for lepto vax)

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone do Benadryl premed? (Hey it works for lepto vax)
One of the doctors I work with currently said she got a Benadryl injection with her second rabies vaccine, but she also said all it did was delay the sick feeling the vaccine have her the first time. But I guess it is done sometimes!

The receptionist at my GP doctor's office tried to tell me preventative rabies vaccination does not exist... I think I need a new doctor.

EDIT: I found a place that offers the entire series for $401. I think I found a winner.

Last edited:
I bugged the crap out of my insurance company they finally covered it.

WHERE?! I don't think I live far from you! I'm from Northeast PA.
I'm living Williamsport, PA right now. I finally found a place willing to vaccinate after 2 hours of calling places. The Divine Providence Hospital in Williamsport told me $401 for the entire series. I have their phone number and address if your interested.

I'm living Williamsport, PA right now. I finally found a place willing to vaccinate after 2 hours of calling places. The Divine Providence Hospital in Williamsport told me $401 for the entire series. I have their phone number and address if your interested.
I was super excited for a moment because I am not that far from PA, then I googled it and realized it is over a two hour drive and I just don't have time for a 5 hour round trip 3 times in a month so I guess that is out.

Checked my undergrad health center and they don't have the vaccine but I did find it at the local health center (last 3 dose round in stock) in total with nurse fees it comes to about 780 but that still saves me a few hundred from Cornell's 1050

The receptionist at my GP doctor's office tried to tell me preventative rabies vaccination does not exist... I think I need a new doctor.

EDIT: I found a place that offers the entire series for $401. I think I found a winner.
Or at the very least your doctor needs a new receptionist

Checked my undergrad health center and they don't have the vaccine but I did find it at the local health center (last 3 dose round in stock) in total with nurse fees it comes to about 780 but that still saves me a few hundred from Cornell's 1050

Ouch, Cornell is expensive. Back in Arizona, the cheapest I could find was $900. I decided to get mine when I got to school in the UK, cost me around £160 ($250).

If you don't need the vaccine right now and are hoping to go to Penn, the student health insurance covers rabies vaccines (pre and post exposure). It might be worth waiting until that kicks in.

If you don't need the vaccine right now and are hoping to go to Penn, the student health insurance covers rabies vaccines (pre and post exposure). It might be worth waiting until that kicks in.
I ninja'ed you by over a year on this … I figure, if they can't bother to read one page of posts, they don't deserve to save their money:mad:

Can we stay on our parents insurance at Penn or do we need the student insurance? I've heard that Penn has a lot of requirements for insurance and our "outside" insurance may not be enough. I have good insurance though and don't really want to spend more money...

Can we stay on our parents insurance at Penn or do we need the student insurance? I've heard that Penn has a lot of requirements for insurance and our "outside" insurance may not be enough. I have good insurance though and don't really want to spend more money...
You can stay on your parents insurance (although you have to pay a small fee then to SHS). Your insurance does have to be approved as being sufficient.

Still, the Rabies shots alone almost pay for the Student health insurance, the free flu shots, etc. I am a big fan (others aren't).

Thanks guys! I am going to try to argue with my insurance company. Wish me luck harassing Blue Cross/ Blue Shield

I know this is an old thread, but I'd love the number of who gave you this info. I'm getting estimates of $700-800 for the series. I need to get it in advance of vet school enrollment-- doing an internship with a wildlife rescue.

Who has had luck finding this rabies vacc series in lower Pennsylvania? I am calling public health offices and they don't know what I'm talking about. I am below Philadelphia, closer to the Delaware and Maryland borders.

I tried to get mine before coming to school, and it was actually cheaper to wait and do it through MU (and much easier as well with them coming to us). It was $800 for the series (ouch).

Today I spent a few more hours on the phone. I found out that the Walgreens chain offers it, although not every store has it. Calling 1-866-924-9377 to ask their directory for which Walgreens stores have it helps. The individual store can give you pricing. I am getting estimates of $730 for the whole series, here in the Delaware County PA area. A lot less than what was quoted at Cornell, $1090. Also, on this website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-fever-vaccination-clinics/state/pennsylvania, you can find yellow fever vaccination travel clinics. While we are not looking for yellow fever vaccinations, I am finding that those travel clinics will also have the rabies shots in stock. Getting prices now.

Today I spent a few more hours on the phone. I found out that the Walgreens chain offers it, although not every store has it. Calling 1-866-924-9377 to ask their directory for which Walgreens stores have it helps. The individual store can give you pricing. I am getting estimates of $730 for the whole series, here in the Delaware County PA area. A lot less than what was quoted at Cornell, $1090. Also, on this website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-fever-vaccination-clinics/state/pennsylvania, you can find yellow fever vaccination travel clinics. While we are not looking for yellow fever vaccinations, I am finding that those travel clinics will also have the rabies shots in stock. Getting prices now.
Thank you for this info! That is really helpful, I am going to look into these.

Wow, interesting to see this thread revived! I ended up getting the 3-shot series through NCSU - this year for the first time it was covered by our student health insurance. I was getting other vaccinations at the same time for two weeks, so I can't say that any ill effects were because of the rabies vax (I got my Tdap and flu shots, so one injection in each arm). However, in terms of soreness of the injected arm, it was not sore the first week, sore the second, and not the third. I think that may be on account of injection technique, ymmv.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd love the number of who gave you this info. I'm getting estimates of $700-800 for the series. I need to get it in advance of vet school enrollment-- doing an internship with a wildlife rescue.
The Divine Providence Hospital in Williamsport has the rabies series for $401. Their number 570-320-7444.

Well, I just found out that my insurance will cover my rabies vaccine if I go to an in-netword provider (my insurance is blue cross blue shiled MN). I called them this morning to ask if I could got vaccinated at Walgreens and will my insurance cover it. At first they said yes, but after the representative did some research she called me back and said no. However, she gave me 2 clinics that I could choose from and my insurance would cover it because it is considered a preventative vaccine and it is in-network. I never thought Walgreens had a travel vaccine clinic.

So I learned two things from this: Don't believe what others are telling you until your insurance company directly tells you they don't cover the rabies vaccine and second walgreens has a travel clinic with the rabies vaccine (pre-exposure) and Walgreens is a lot cheaper than any clinic I have found if you can't get your insurance to cover it.

I feel like I hit the jackpot! I don't know if I was the only freaking out about the cost, but I was not pleased when Iowa State emailed saying the vaccine series cost will be higher than expected, which prompted all of the above series of events to happen. I just thought I would let anyone else know who is worried about another vet school expenditure.

I called my insurance company (BCBS TX) three times before making an appointment at a travel clinic in my area. All three times I was told that the vaccines were covered, after my customer service rep called her supervisor each time.

I called my insurance company (BCBS TX) three times before making an appointment at a travel clinic in my area. All three times I was told that the vaccines were covered, after my customer service rep called her supervisor each time.

Are you saying this because they said it was covered and then it wasn't or you had to call three times to make sure it was covered and after you got the vaccine it was still covered?

I also have BCBC TX and all mine were covered I just had to pay the co-pay.

Can confirm that BCBS TX will cover your rabies vaccine. I did mine through the student health center, so I had 100% coverage (BCBS partners with A&M).

Are you saying this because they said it was covered and then it wasn't or you had to call three times to make sure it was covered and after you got the vaccine it was still covered?
I called three times to make sure it was covered. I haven't gotten my "bill" yet though.

I'm glad someone revived this thread because I've been trying to get vaccinated.

I have TriCare and they won't cover any portion of it unless I'm bitten first o_O ... I told them that I'm high risk because I work in a vet hospital and with wildlife but that made no difference.

I called Walgreens and they quoted me $300 for each vaccine (apparently the Walgreens cost varies by area) and my primary care doc quoted $200 per vaccine with a 40% discount if I pay cash. ($200 includes the discount)

I'm glad someone revived this thread because I've been trying to get vaccinated.

I have TriCare and they won't cover any portion of it unless I'm bitten first o_O ... I told them that I'm high risk because I work in a vet hospital and with wildlife but that made no difference.

I called Walgreens and they quoted me $300 for each vaccine (apparently the Walgreens cost varies by area) and my primary care doc quoted $200 per vaccine with a 40% discount if I pay cash. ($200 includes the discount)

In MN Walgreens charges $299 and you can join some club and get $15 off/shot (which is almost comical). Walgreens was the cheapest place I found to get vaccinated if you have to pay out of pocket. The highest I found was at a travel clinic and it was nearly $1100 for the whole series plus office visits. I am going to a clinic that offers the series that is considered in-network, my insurance provider actually called around and found a place near me because they initially gave me the wrong info (as I stated above).

My GP wouldn't order it for me either. We have bats galore in Austin chances are good I could be bitten. ;)
(before anyone flips out I am only kidding about chasing bats)

Sucks about that bat that just bit you, doesn't it?

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping this thread for our accepted students looking for rabies vaccine advice

My advice has nothing to do with where to get it the cheapest....but how to make it less painful. The nurse who did the first in my series just jabbed me. I couldn't really move my arm for almost 2 days without immense pain

The nurse who did my last two jabs told me to dangle my arm for about a minute prior to the stick. Best advice ever! It didn't really hurt after. I'm not sure if the first shot is supposed to be the worst anyways...but it can't hurt to try haha.

If you are sensitive to vaccines (I usually feel sick from my flu shot yearly) plan accordingly! The rabies vaccine knocked me out for the rest of the day. Also don't get your tetanus in one arm and your rabies in the other at the same time. That was the travel clinics brilliant idea. The shots also get much easier with each one!

I find the rabies vaccine varies for everyone...

Some people say the first vaccine did nothing to them, while the last knocked them out. Others say second one was the worst. Same say it was the first. Others say it was all three. Some people none of them bothered them.

I usually get a sore/achy arm and just feel tired after every vaccine. Except the rabies vaccine... I felt NOTHING. The second shot in the series did have a slight achy arm and some tiredness, but it was nothing compared to a tetnaus shot.

So just know that reactions vary widely from person to person. Even if you are sensitive to vaccines, rabies might not have any effect on you, or it might knock you on to your ass... you won't know until you have the shot.

I think even if you just tell them there was a bat in your room while you were sleeping they will recommend the post exposure series.

My vaccines were completely covered by insurance, but they were post exposure because I was bitten by a feral kitten that I was told was friendly. That was several years ago though, so I should probably get my titers checked before classes start in the fall.

I think even if you just tell them there was a bat in your room while you were sleeping they will recommend the post exposure series.

I know in Ohio that if a bat is in the room with a person who is sleeping, mentally disabled, very young, or otherwise unable to say definitively whether they were bitten by the bat or not, the person does have to get the post-exposure series, the Department of Health gets involved, and the bat also needs to be captured + euthanized + sent off for testing. I'm guessing it's a similar scenario elsewhere, so while telling your insurance company that might get you the vaccines, it would also result in a bigger ordeal than you bargained for and probably isn't a great idea :)