Chemical Engineering Pre med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@stigus I'm not sure what jobs you were looking for and I'm probably in a bit of a different situation than you are because my university is very big on co-ops. A lot of defense and robotics companies (Raytheon, Boeing, etc.) like to hire physics majors for co-ops and after they graduate so ymmv. I know that a lot of my math major friends are going on actuary co-ops that pay very well.

Yeah, the co-ops offered at my school were aimed mainly at eng majors. Most of our STEM majors were suggested to apply for conventional research internships at national labs, which were highly competitive (NSF, DoE, etc.). Most of the jobs I applied to were for engineering positions in my state.

Bad luck/location I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

ChemEngMD, I know you are trying to help me and I truly respect that. I apologize if I sound like I totally disagree with because you make valid points. I know it's not the easiest route but did you switch out of your cheme major or you stuck with it?

You're falling into the same trap a lot of undergrad. freshman do. You're putting Chem. E up on this pedestal, and saying nothing else would be worth it (and not considering the VAST array of potential majors). You are also failing to consider that a large number of people apply multiple times, and not everyone is a 22 year old (although I was) in M1.

Assuming you make it into medical school, your chem. E degree will be nearly useless. The skills required, background knowledge and methods of learning are mostly different.

Most of my undergrad. friends were chem es, and several of my family members are chem. es. If you genuinely love math, you should consider statistics, computer science, comp. sci engineering, straight math, physics, etc. If you can really hack it in Chem E, chances are you can make it into med. school. So the whole "fall back plan" is kindof irrelevant.

All of the computer sciences and statistics have excellent job prospects (statistics often needs a masters, but the job market is pretty damn good for masters degree).

In short, take a serious look at the path you choose before you blunder your way into it.

And if you do end up doing chemical engineering....welcome to the island of misfit toys, you'll fit right in here!

Update: Guys its possible I'm at the end of my sophomore year and have a 3.9cumulative GPA, and 3.94sGPA. While still doing research and extracurriculars. Do what you find interesting and you'll truly benefit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Guys its possible I'm at the end of my sophomore year and have a 3.9cumulative GPA, and 3.94sGPA. While still doing research and extracurriculars. Do what you find interesting and you'll truly benefit.
Ideally, everyone should pick a major based on their interests, not potential gpa. However, given the enormous weight of gpa for med school admissions, we can't really blame people on this forum for advising against some of the more difficult programs.

That said, I'm happy it has worked out for you. Congrats!

3.8 in CS here. Would have rotted my head off doing a bio degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Former ChemE now graduated and headed into anesthesiology residency. I finished with a good GPA and went straight through to medical school without taking a gap year so it is possible. That being said, many classmate premed GPAs died along the way. In my experience, a hard major will not make up for a mediocre GPA, but it can be a nice bonus if you finish with a good GPA. It's hard work, but if you enjoy the material and the thought process it can be way better than memorizing random biology facts. I wouldn't choose ChemE as a major to get to medical school, but rather as a major because you enjoy the critical thinking and applied science nature of the material.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, it's been two years. I'm really curious on how did it go for you! I'm also considering ChemE. as a premed, but all I'm hearing is "Biology, Biology, Biology". Don't get me wrong, I love Biology, but I love more Math. I find ChemE really interesting, but I keep getting less motivated everytime I hear the amount of work and time. Anyway... let me know how did it go for you!